chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:41 pm

The Manchester Museum has international standing as a seat of research and regularly contributes to important historical research in Egyptology, I doubt very much that the PR department would cook up such an obvious crowd pleaser, academics do not generally stoop to such things, and if it was uncovered as a fraud it would be very negative publicity to the whole University and museum. So in my mind someone deliberately tampering is completely out of the question. Unless of course its a rogue museum assistant with a weird sense of humour.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm

So what you're telling me is...

Night at the Museum was a documentary! Very Happy

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Does seem suss it doesnt move at all when the place is closed for the night- yet it moves all day when staff are there. Suspect 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:46 pm

I thought the vibration explanation sort of made sense. Either footsteps or maybe there's construction work going on nearby...?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:48 pm

as I said, if its one rogue assistant thats fair cop, but in no way shape or form would this kind of activity be sanctioned from the museum proper. They are too well respected in the field, and are serious academics. Their Egyptology department is the holy grail for researchers into Egyptology, their collection of mummies is incredible, if a little yucky.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 pm

"I thought of this when I heard about the story yesterday before I saw Azriel's post, but she beat me to the joke." Eldo.
Sorry ! Very Happy
I dont think in reality that academics would jepodise their reputation, must be someone having a laugh ? Is there a physics student running amok with magnets ?
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Academics will do anything to keep their grants- and this has coincidentally severally boosted visitor numbers, which Im sure is just a stroke of luck and a complete coincidence....

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 pm

You're kidding right? Manchester? Swansea Egypt Centre FTW!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:59 pm

they will not pull a stunt like this to get a grant, and they dont need to either. they have plenty of cash. The new Ancient Worlds galleries are supported by the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund, The Garfield Weston Foundation, The Monument Trust, The Headley Trust, The Stavros Niarchos Foundation, The Foundation for Sport and the Arts, The Barker Foundation, The Charlotte Bonham-Carter Charitable Trust, Manchester Ancient Egypt Society and by the exhibition Tutankhamun-His Tomb And His Treasures. so lots and lots of cash coming in.

But I think its vibration causing it to move, not some deliberate hoax.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:17 pm

I've seen archives with seismographs to watch for such vibrations. It would seem to be easy to check. Daytime vibrations are typically a lot stronger due to traffic, construction, heating and cooling etc. I'm wondering if the staff haven't already got it figured, and the press is just having fun with it.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:24 pm

yes I think its probably the press who are creating a buzz rather than the museum staff themselves. its all good for visitors, so they would be quite glad of it, but they wont have done it deliberately. Its just a nice interest story, as everyone loves an ancient Egypt story.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:25 pm

My guess would be an imperfection in the statue base, or a bit of dirt thats got underneath if its sitting on a smooth or glass shelf then vibrations would allow it to move.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:28 pm

yep you are probably right. also the statues centre of gravity might be making it rotate. if the statue is heavier at the front or leaning slightly. I dont know the exact physics, but its probably that. it is odd that in 80 years this is the first time its moved.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:30 pm

Thats why I am inclined towrds a bit of dirt or grit or something got underneath it- as that would explain why its started now and didnt happen before.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Question 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Well if it was sitting flat on a smooth surface it probably wouldnt move- but if a little bit of something got underneath it that would allow it move from vibrations much easier.
And as it has only started happening it makes sense the dirt or grit would have to have got under it recently.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 pm

they clean you know Suspect 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 pm

I suspect it was the monthly clean that put the dirt in there.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:44 pm

yes Sherlock
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:47 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Mousepad-p144740413418358303td22_152_zpse1ad9fc4

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Gate_zps0a21e540

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:19 pm

wow and wowzer and oh my giddy aunt! where IS THAT???? thats beautiful I love those birds, it looks vaguely Asian or Balinese or something exotic.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 am

Actually, believe it or not,& I was surprised, its from........Russia ! Or rather its IN Russia.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:12 am

crikey Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:32 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 21 Mousepad-p144740413418358303td22_152_zpse1ad9fc4

Laughing It's the little things that make me laugh.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next