Lorient Avandi
leelee
Elthir
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Dragon Helm Empty The Dragon Helm

Post by Elthir Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Another archived thread (I assume I cannot reply to those threads, bumping them over here somehow):

It looks awesome [Alan Lee's version] but I was never sure what to make of this line in the helms description: "It had a visor (after the manner of those that the Dwarves used in their forges for the shielding of their eyes), and the face of one that wore it struck fear into the hearts of all beholders, but was itself guarded from dart and fire."

Lee's depiction doesn't seem to have a "visor." What do you think?

Some have wondered if the visor could be removed, but I'm guessing Alan Lee chose not to incorporate the visor because it would obscure Turin's face (although in any event it could be lifted up according to JRRT). I can't recall any images to date of the helm with the visor, but I haven't seen all the Tolkien art there is!

Another interesting thing is the wording used in The Children of Hurin, the new edition specifically, considering that Lee depicts the image of the head and body of the dragon. Compare what is noted in the Narn published in Unfinished Tales:

'(...) It had a visor (after the manner of those that the Dwarves used in their forges for the shielding of their eyes), and the face of one that wore it struck fear into the hearts of all beholders, but was itself guarded from dart and fire. Upon its crest was set in defiance a gilded image of the head of Glaurung the dragon; for it had been made soon after he first issued from the gates of Morgoth.'

I would have depicted the head of the worm, but again, the wording used in the new edition (which A. Lee illustrated obviously) leaves it more open.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

The Dragon Helm Empty dragonhelm

Post by leelee Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:34 am

I like his work, but my opinion, my feelings then,my opinion is not worth all that much Smile , is that if one is going to tackle the art to someone's magnum opus they ought to be precise and exactly as the author wants. I am having right now to do the art work for something I am to hand in to the publishers, starting with clay. It is tedious, and then I will use that to do the water colors. And all because I have not the confidence the in house artists will be the least bit true to what I hold dear in the characters. He could have simply had the visor lifted up and resting on the helm if it did that sort of thing .
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

The Dragon Helm Empty Re: The Dragon Helm

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:47 am

There is a new cover for Children of Hurin, which does have the helmet featuring a visor.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:05 am

Do you mean this one? I've seen it in bookstores, I think, though I can't say the visor is quite like I imagined when I read the book. Maybe I'm misinterpreting or misremembering the text, but I imagined something more like the Sutton Hoo helmet.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:02 am

In the Grey Annals (§232): 'Now the Naugrim withstood fire more hardily than either Elves of Men, and it was the custom of the Enfeng to wear great masks (struck out: or vizors) in battle hideous to look upon, which stood them in great stead against the drakes.' Compare to the description already supplied: 'It had a visor (after the manner of those that the Dwarves used in their forges for the shielding of their eyes), and the face of one that wore it struck fear into the hearts of all beholders,...'

In commentary to the Grey Annals (§280) we find that Túrin 'thrust up the visor and looked Glaurung in the eye' (in both the published Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin Turin does not have the Helm at this point).

Anyway, I thought maybe (and perhaps like one of the battle-masks) the visor was a distorted image of an angry dwarf-face, for one possibility.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:44 am

At last, proper conversation that keeps within the parameters of the thread title. Well done, you folk. Respectability at last! Nod

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Porgy Bunk-Banks Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:33 pm

I've always longed for respectability, Odo! Very Happy
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Dutiful Consort

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Your tie is quite respectable looking Porgy. Nod

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Porgy Bunk-Banks Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:11 am

Ooh Petty, how nice you are. Very Happy I've always you a respectable gentlehobbit, in a behind the bushes at the bottom of the Council Estate kind of way. Very Happy
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Dutiful Consort

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 am

A gentlehobbit notices these sorts of things Porgy...and I notice them if I'm staring at your chest. Nod

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:39 am

I'm a par-time Medievalist, and I have seen helms where the inner plate looked very much like a welder's mask, but rimming around the mask was the maw and head of a giant animal, giving the impression that the mouth was sort of devouring the mask itself.
The giant gaping jaws of lions were mostly used in medieval times, but it would not be hard to envision a horrible dragon's maw, open and displaying teeth and spit, a true horror to look at. (I do wish I could draw something for you, let me see if I can find an illustration.) Here we are:
The Dragon Helm Ku-xlarge

And what about this one?
The Dragon Helm Ku-bigpic

I find them quite grotesque, and perfect for annoying the **** out of your opponent.
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:48 am

I like them!  I wouldn't have thought they'd had the skill for the flowing metal work shown in the first mask.  To my woefully untrained eye it looks rather 17th century.

Last edited by halfwise on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:49 am

That would be quite discomforting coming at you with violent intent.

Do you know what it has its roots in?
It reminds me of tribal headdresses an the old European traditions of shamans in Bear and Wolf headdress.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:16 am

Here's the link to the article, complete with more helms and all the dates. The lion is actually very early, 14th, and yes, the serpent is indeed 17th - right on, Halfwise!

Gawker Helms
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Not right on! I got them backwards! Mad 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Oh! Drat. Heh. I've come to the concluson that neither would be very good in open battle, they've both fall to pieces or get horribly dented, but then, I guess armor is made to be brutalized and fixed, 'specially if you want to look good in battle.
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:50 pm

I think they'd all line up, shouting and waving their arms; then the moment the other army got too close they'd turn and run away wailing "Nooo! Don't dent my beautiful armor!"

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:10 pm

This is why we Scots wore nothing at all.
If you want to terrify line up several thousand naked angry highlanders and then get them to charge screaming and yelling right at you Twisted Evil 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:15 pm

That's why the Romans built Hadrian's wall, to keep you Heathen Savages out.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Wimpy Italians! Mad 

And I should mention an obvious advantage to fighting naked as opposed to covered in armour- cost. Got to watch the sporran Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Don't suggest that to the MOD, if Cameron had his way we'd be fighting battles with rudely worded letters and waterbombs.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Good point.

But even naked Scotshobbits wouldnt charge without a claymore in one hand and a targ in the other.
No armour is one thing (it just gets in the way and slows you down) no weapons is madness!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 pm

You could just Talk in a very thick Glaswegian accent and confuse them-it seems to work on Tourists!

How you hold a claymore in one hand anyway? Aren't they massive five foot things?

But back to the Dragon Helm...can't remember, though COH rocks.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:42 pm

How you hold a claymore in one hand anyway? - Malick

Necessity, if you used both hands you wouldn't be able to drink your buckie, obviously Rolling Eyes 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:52 pm

The sword of Robert the Bruce ws pretty massive- it is a sort of Anduril version- its been remade using (supposedly) the original blade from Bruce's time (it definetly does date to the right time, but it actually being the one the Bruce used is another matter)but the hilt and the reforging was done in the 14th century.
I couldnt find a pic of it that showed it in context with a person to judge it size, but heres a pic of a bloke holding a replica-

The Dragon Helm Bruce3_zps6256233c

William Wallace also had a famous sword of improbable dimensions- its on display in Edinburgh Castle-

The Dragon Helm Images_zps9a1c37e2

One of the reasons Wallace was reputed to be such a large person was purely based on reports he rode into battle swinging his sword in one hand above his head, and then people saw the size of the sword.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next