Ringdrotten
malickfan
David H
Eldorion
Bluebottle
18 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 7 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:32 pm

{{{ Given how hard to get the full versions seem to be and how expensive! I have uploaded the film to google drive to watch- anyone who wants to see the film- and I do strongly recommend it- just pm me and I will give you the link}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 7 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:06 pm

{{{On second thoughts, in case I'm not about when you want to watch, dont PM just click the spoiler box below}}}

Spoiler:

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:54 pm

I liked that opening sequence in the church. It's a great start to the film I thought, especially to help set up the main character's background.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:50 pm

{{{Indeed- amazing they saw fit to cut it from the theatrical, especially as it serves in my view several purposes.
Character set up as you say, also
Spoiler:
}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:41 pm

Watched Hail Caeser on DVD recently. My anticipation was high; the comic delivery was limp. Sometimes I feel the same people who cut the trailers should go back and recut the whole movie: the trailers are often so much better than the movie.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Much is lost, indeed.
(In response to Petty)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:44 pm

{{{Sadly yes, later cuts in the film they made were even worse of course Mad Did you watch the whole film? }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:46 pm

I did not, but I did notice that Lord... Mayfield or whatever straight up sends in a randy young fellow for Willow while the main character is watching. I don't recall that being in the version I watched.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:51 pm

{{{No its not, that entire night including the Gentle Johnny song is absent from the theatrical- which also screws up the timeline of how many days it is to May Day Mad As well as losing Summerisles excellent little speech on animals, humans and religion.
Also of course it demonstrates
Spoiler:
}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Yeah, when I finally saw the extended cut it was the
Spoiler:
that changed the movie for me Nod

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:05 pm

V. Sacrifice Scene!

Whaaaaat.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:48 pm

{{
Spoiler:
}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:48 pm

I think that's an excellent analysis.
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:05 pm

{{{Yes the whole issue of fate and pre-destiny is interwoven into it.
Spoiler:
}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:37 pm

{{{
Spoiler:
}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Yeah, there are a lot of layers to peel back...

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:06 pm

{{Yup, its why I find it so rewatchable after all these years and still so mesmerising}}}

{{{Come on Eldo- no excuses now! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 am

{{In one of my hunts for old film gems I stumbled upon a 1947 film called 'It's a Joke, Son'. I have no idea if this is considered an American comedy classic, but it should be in my view if its not.

Its main character, Claghorn, is a loud mouthed Southern gentleman, ridiculously proud of everything Southern, and disdainful of everything from the North to the point of ridiculousness.

The plot concerns how he becomes a Senator, and draws in pretty much everything that was popular in 40's cinema, so there is a love story going on involving his teenage daughter and a man her mother disapproves of, but Claghorn quite likes, some, sort of, feminism in the form of Claghorns wife and her Womens Group (though that kind of goes the opposite way by the end!)  some political satire, and cinema favourites of the day- gangsters. Hell they even throw in a performing dog.
In short the plot is pretty typical and pretty formulaic, appealing as it does to tropes of the period so blatantly.
So why do I think it should be a classic? the strength of the main character really, Senator Claghorn himself is simply a hugely enjoyable character, even my crabbit exterior smiled a lot watching this, and snorted buckie out my nose on more than one occasion and thats rare.
So its perhaps not surprising that the character of Senator Claghorn inspired Warner Brothers cartoon character Foghorn Leghorn (though ridiculously the actor who created the character,Kenny Delmar, had to then get permission from WB to continue doing his Senator Claghorn act as they had copyrighted the character!).

The plot is really just a way to loosely link together a series of sketches and ideas, and it works effectively at that, it keeps everything moving forward whilst providing what you want- which is to see Claghorn in a variety of situations just to see how he will react to them.

So whilst I cant recommend it for anything it does thats exceptional for its time, it doesn't do anything new in regards to plot, form, or secondary characters, I can recommend it for the strength of its main character, the quality of the writing of the jokes and dialogue the vast majority of which hit their mark rather than miss, and the sheer exuberant fun it has with its materia and playing with wordsl. Its also very short, clocking it at just over 1 hour. But its an incredibly densely packed hour! }}}

{{I also recommend Foghorn Leghorn too- some great writing there too}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:07 am

You can see the similarity between Beauregarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd & Leghorn Very Happy I like a lot of these old B/W films, the stories were good. (Cripes, couldnt his wife shriek !) Reminded me of our latter day Alf Garnet in some ways, he was a stick in the mud also Smile

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:01 am

Interesting. I had no idea that Leghorn was inspired by a character from a film.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:47 am

Watched Insidious again.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Those are good!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:37 pm

watched The Martian with Matt Damon and Sean Bean. how can you make a boring film about a man lost on Mars? well they managed it. had a little giggle when Sean Bean is in a NASA meeting and someone mentions the Council of Elrond. apart from that it was boring. the female lead had the charisma of a dead Geoduck.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:42 pm

I seem to remember "Gravity" though, right? I enjoyed them both (but then I've always enjoyed dead geoducks too Shrugging )

I can see both similarities and differences between the two,  a lot of them having to do with whether they're telling a story that's measured in hours or in months.

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next