Go down

All New Who - Page 3 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:53 pm

{{Who trailer in the style of the SW Rogue One trailer}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Sad  audio just isn't the same. its all very strange considering Captain Jack is one of the most popular characters, he always tops polls.

I think it's just an unfortunate combination of budget cuts, RTD moving onto other projects and Moffat understandably wanting to create his own characters and subplots, no disrespect to Barrowman but he's ageing and there's only so much longer he could feasibly play an immortal, that said I'd quite like for Jack to return to Doctor Who for a few episodes in a guest role, it would be very interesting to see how he would react to 12 given Capaldi also played that nasty goverment official in series 3 of Torchwood.

In addition to audios, Titan comics have just announced a new series of Torchwood comics set post Miralce Day:

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/titan-torchwood-comic-issue-1/

So there's still new stories being made, just not on TV, and it it were to return eventually it would be shame in my eyes if the new episodes ignored or overwrote the comics/audios...

To be honest, after reading a fair few Who novels and exploring Big Finish's Doctor Who output, in some ways I actually prefer the format over the parent show (and some of the best stories in the Whoniverse could only be told in prose or audio...)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:42 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-titan-revisits-the-fourth-doctor-in-new-doctor-who-comic-series

It's a real shame Elizabeth Sladen passed away just before she was set to record more audio stories with Baker...

Weird to think 40 or 50 years after their episodes aired on TV new stories are still being made about the Classic Doctors all the time...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 pm

{{It is quite amazing. I mean its amazing enough that the main show survives 52 years later still bringing in millions of viewers, but that spin offs like BF continuing further adventures of previous long gone former Tv Doctors, and doing more than ever before, not to mention the comics for each of the NuWho Doctors ect its quite astounding really}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:25 pm

{{{Another excellent new vid from Garostudious}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:13 pm

{{{{{NUWho in tribute vids by Doctor-

And from Garostudious- all 4 of them!}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:37 pm

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:49 pm

{{{{{Perfect 8 and Sheridan was in my view the character Rose should have been. Pity for 8 what he doesn't know is he has the Time War in his future- when 8 will finally choose to go and regen rather than go against his words- I think Moffat was right about that, 8 couldn't have been the Time War Doctor}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{{{Perfect 8 and Sheridan was in my view the character Rose should have been. Pity for 8 what he doesn't know is he has the Time War in his future- when 8 will finally choose to go and regen rather than go against his words- I think Moffat was right about that, 8 couldn't have been the Time War Doctor}}}

Sheridan Smith is one of the finest actresses in the country and made for a great companion in Lucy (though Fitz Kriener will always be the top 8th Doctor companion i.m.o), she and McGann had a very convincing chemistry and tonally the EDA's were a great mix of humour and tragedy, but they actually reminded me more of 10 and Donna's relationship.

I agree though, as I've said before I think 8's fate in NOTD was much more in keeping with his general character (ironically in the BBC 8th Doctor novel 'The Ancestor Cell' he
Spoiler:
, and in many ways more tragic and heroic than fighting in the time war would be, what could be more true to the Doctor's character to be willing die in defense of his morals, and be willing to sacrifce his life to save a complete stranger?

Last edited by malickfan on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:11 pm

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:38 pm

{{{{Looking forward with interest to hearing those- see if BF can make me like 10 any more, be good to hear Donna again though Nod In the meantime- fun with 12 Very Happy }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Right. Here it is the ultimate debate on Moffat and female characters.

Here's the plan for this.

Below you will find every main female character in Moffat era Who.

The criteria for selection is simple- they must be notable enough to have some effect on the plot.

As Moffat is head writer, and can rewrite himself, demand rewrites of others, insert or remove material as he sees fit, this list includes all female characters in his era. They are all if not Moffat penned then Moffat approved. So its an overview of the entire period from series 5 to 9. And asks the question is Moffat era who overall sexist or not?

In attempt to keep opinion to a minimum in creating this list it takes the following format: characters name, the name age and ethnicity of the actress, the job of the character, the main characteristics, and a brief summary of their effect on the plot.
The idea here is to strip a character down to what traits they exhibit and what they actually do in the plot with as little room for my own personal opinion to get in the way as possible.
Nor is there any judgement on the merits of each character or the episode they are in- its just a list of what they are like and do.

The list is in episodic order.

Now here is where the debate comes in- those who say Moffat females are sexist and he is misogynistic need only select the character you believe is sexist- give their number on the list and character name and say why you think what I have said about them is wrong, and in what manner you believe the writing of them is sexist. And we can all debate that characters merits.
Hopefully this way we can have an ordered less heated discussion on the matter.

River Song and Vastra and Jenny are not on the list only because I ran out of time writing all this, so will do them separately when they come up in discussions.

Episode- Beast Below.

1. Character- Liz10

Age of actress- 40

Ethnicity- British African

job- Future Queen of Great Britain

Characteristics- intelligent, ruthless, daring, inquisitive, extroverted.

Effect on plot- goes undercover to protect her people from her own government when she suspects them of corruption, and of hiding a dark secret from her. Bit of a bad ass with a gun, but got the common touch with the people. Saves the Doctor and Amy's life, gets them involved and helps them in uncovering what the government are doing.

2. Character – Mandy

Age of actress (approx) 14

Ethnicity- white

Job- school kid

characteristics- protective of her friends, curious about the whale protrusions rather than afraid.

Effect on plot- story is introduced through her eyes. Helps the Doctor. Her natural compassion towards the whale leads Amy to realise why it doesn't harm children.

Episode- Victory of the Daleks

3. Character- Blanche

job- Works in Churchill's War Room.

Age of Actress- approx mid-twenties

Ethnicity- White

Characteristics- a small role, loses her boyfriend who is on a bombing raid but returns to her duty. Stalwart, but with deep emotions, but wills herself on.

Effect on plot- she is there to represent the 'blitz spirit', even grieving and having lost a loved one she returns to her duty to help win the war and fight the Nazis.

Episode- The Vampires of Venice

4. Character- Rosanna

Age of actress- 40

ethnicity- white

job- leader of her people, the last of their kind, mother to the remaining survivors.

characteristics- strong independent leader of the last of her people who have found sanctuary in Venice. Conceives and executes a plan to make it habitable for her fish-alien type by sinking Venice. Dedicated utterly to her offspring and to securing a future for her race. Loyal to a fault, arrogant, intelligent. Talks as an equal with the Doctor. When she loses everything she chooses to take her own life with dignity and in an act of self sacrifice, as one last meal for her now doomed offspring.

Effect on plot- the main protagonist. Drives the plot, main villain, takes on the Doctor.

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood

5. Character- Nasreen Chaudhry

Age of Actress- 48

Ethnicity- British Asian

job- Lead Scientist on record breaking deep mining project.

Characteristics- intelligent, resourceful, adventurous, humorous.

Effect on plot- one of the two main scientists , joins forces with the Doctor goes with him to Silurians underworld, is one of the negotiators on the treaty between species.

Episode- The Lodger

6. Character- Sophie

Age of actress- 32

Job- works in an office

Ethnicity- white

Characteristics- a bit awkward, but good fun, shy about personal matters, bit of a dreamer because she doesn't know what she really wants, or rather does but not how to say it. Tends to wait on the other person to make the first move.

Effect in plot- part of the romantic subplot of the episode with Craig, together she and Craig save the day through acknowledging their true feelings to one another.

Episode- The Doctor's wife

7. Character- Idris

Age of actress- 32

Job- being the TARDIS!

Ethnicity- White

Characteristics- she is the TARDIS! Motherly, compassionate, short tempered, quirky, non-linear, intelligent.

Effect on plot- she is the plot! Needles to say she and the Doctor in combination save the day.

8. Character- Auntie

age of actress- 40

job- slave, mainly seem to do maintenance

characteristics- what it says on the tin- she is your mad, smelly batty old aunt.

Effect on plot- work for the bad guy as slaves/entertainment. Mainly there with Uncle to move the plot along and do the exposition in a fun quirky manner.

*notable addition- this episode has the first canon reference to a time-lord changing sex when they regenerated.

The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People

9. Character- Jennifer

age of actress- 36

ethnicity- white

job- works in a industrial plant producing acid.

Characteristics- the human version is reserved, shy, a little awkward, has childhood baggage. The flesh version has all that but comes out her shell and uses the baggage to drive on her ambition to get revenge on the world.

Effect on plot- flesh version grows to become the main bad guy of the piece.

10. Character- Cleaves

age of actress- 43

ethnicity- white

job- in charge of the workers in the acid plant.

Characteristics- practically minded, smart, commanding, decisive, weighs up situations and considers all possibilities.

Effect plot- both versions are instrumental to the plot, but particularly the flesh version who in the end is the spokesperson for all the flesh avatars and for their rights, going before the world media to state their case as individuals.

Episode- A Good Man Goes to War

11. character- Madam Kovarian

job- leader of a powerful zealot faction in the Church of the Papal Mainframe (a sort of heavily armed religious space UN)

ethnicity- white

Characteristics- a zealot, deeply religiously driven, cold calculating, cruel. Smart enough to outwit the Doctor not once but twice. Has no moral qualms about her actions if she thinks they serve the higher purpose of stopping the Doctor.

Effect on plot- the hidden bad guy, fighting a war against the doctor to stop him reaching the planet Trenzalore, but is actually, by trying to prevent him getting here causing the very reasons he goes there at all. 'Creates' the River Song we know after kidnapping her from Amy and Rory.

*also notable for introducing Vastra and Jenny as Who's first ever reoccurring married same sex couple.

Episode- The God Complex

12. Character- Rita

age of actress- 28

ethnicity- British/Sri-Lankan

job- Junior Doctor

characteristics- religious Muslim, liberal, optimist, intelligent, insightful, brave, accepts her own short comings.

Effect on plot- the natural leader of the group when the Doctor and co find them, works together with the Doctor, never gives up hope, faces her own fears, dies bravely and with dignity. Her death drives the Doctor on to realising he had read the situation completely wrong.

Episode- The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe

13. character- Lily

age of actress- 17

job- school kid

ethnicity- white

characteristics- protective and caring of her younger sibling. On the cusp of womanhood, more aware to her mothers feelings and moods and that something is going on. Intuitive. Adventurous but with more caution and age than her brother.

Effect on plot- goes looking for her brother through the box, helps the Doctor realise that only a female of the species can pilot the vessel.

14. Character- Madge

Age of actress- 47

job- full time mother

ethnicity- white

characteristics- a bit scatter brained well intentioned, open to new ideas and even fanciful notions, completely lacking in scepticisms, but brave and resourceful when her children are under threat.

Effect on plot- epitomises the strengths of motherhood and saves all the sentient trees by being able to pilot the vessel.

*notable points- the entire theme of this episode is the virtues of womanhood and motherhood- the trees reject males on the basis they are not complete, only the female of the species can be complete beings to them.

Episode- Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

15. Character- Idra

Age of Actress- 37

Job- Head of the future Indian Space  Agency

Ethnicity- Indian

characteristics- small role, fair but strong- military minded, does what she thinks she has too to protect earth.

Effect on plot- mainly to provide the timed threat of the missile launch.

16. Character- Queen Nefretiti

Age of Actress- (approx mid-twenties)

Job- Queen of Egypt

characteristics- fiery, passionate, loyal, haughty, but willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good of the many.

Effect on plot- gives herself up to the bad guy even under the threat of an implied sexual threat to save the others, and then when the chance comes she defeats her captive and escapes him, leaving him to his fate at the hands of the Doctor.

Episode- The Bells of St John

17. Character- Miss Kizlet

age of actress-  59

job- Head of the GI's entire enterprise.

Ethnicity- white

Characteristics- businesslike, firm, immoral, doesn't suffer fools, manipulative.

Effect on plot- she is the main villain, or at least the front for the main villain, but her end reveals the tragic truth that she was taken over by the GI as a child, and when he is gone her mental state is returned that of when she was a child, lost, alone, afraid and wanting her parents.

Episode- The Rings of Akhaten

18.Character- Merry

Age of actress- 11

job- raised to sing a Holy song on a special Holy Day to keep an angry God asleep.

Ethnicity- white

Characteristics- brave but scared of failing in front of others, of letting people down. Religious, but able to use her intelligence to see past her indoctrination.

Effect on plot- drives the main narrative, helps save Clara and the Doctor on two occasions, gives inspiration to the Doctor and Clara at the very end by her song.

Episode- Hide

19. Character- Emma

Age of actress- 31

job- assistant to the Professor, a psychic.

Ethnicity- white

Characteristics- shy, polite, insightful, determined, willing to risk herself for others, even a ghost.

Effect on plot- she is the unspoken love story involving the professor, and the means by which the Doctor and the TARDIS can enter and exit the collapsing universe. It is her strength which keeps the portal open long enough to save the Doctor and the second alien being.

Episode- The Crimson Horror

20. Character Miss Gillyflower

Age of Actress- 74

job- leader of a outwardly Christian apocalyptic cult

Ethnicity- white

Characteristics- deceptive, conniving hard hearted, bitter, cruel, religious

effect on plot- the main villain.

21. Character – Ada

Age of Actress- 35

job- none known save assisting her mother

Ethnicity- white

characteristics- chartable kind, thoughtful, empathic, vengeful

effect on plot- she saves the Doctor after he is put in the crimson vats, and she turns against her mother and helps them when she learns the truth about how she became blind.

Episode- Into the Dalek

22. Character – Journey Blue

Age of Actress- 29

job- soldier in a war against the Daleks

ethnicity- British Ugandan

characteristics- determined, stalwart, intelligent, risk taker, but uses brains over brawn in the end.

Effect on plot- is the main link between the two groups inside and outside the Dalek narratively. Helps Clara reboot the Dalek memory circuits allowing the Doctor to effect it.

Episode- Time Heist

23. Character- Saibra

Age of actress-  (Unknown)

job- top thief

ethnicity- British African

characteristics- loyal, cautious, self reserved, withdrawn

effect on plot- hand picked by the Doctor for the job, helps the Doctor reach his goal b gettn gthem all into the bank disguised.

24. Character- Madame Karabraxos

age of actress- 39

job- Head of the Biggest most Prestigious Bank in the galaxy

ethnicity- white

characteristics- manipulative, callous, arrogant, egotistical, greedy, but at the very last regretful.

Effect on plot- she sets the plot in motion and is for the main duration its main villain.

Episode- Kill The Moon

25. Character- Lundvik

age of actress- 47

job- astronaut

ethnicity- white

characteristics- brave, practical, determined, closed minded, set in her ways when it comes to her views.

Effect on plot- the leader of the group of astronauts, the decision to destroy the moon or not lies in her hands and on her judgement, she is the voice supporting caution, even at the risk of destroying an innocent in the final dilemma.

26. Character- Courtney Woods

Age of actress- approx mid-teens

job- school kid

characteristics- upfront, honest in word and in showing her emotions, disruptive,not the brightest but makes up for it with a willingness to not judge what is happening and a determination to see things through.

Effect on plot- is the reason for the plot happening, and accepts her responsibility in making the final decision and insists she be allowed to do so.

Episode- Mummy on the Orient Express

27. Character- Maisie

age of actress- 40

job- unknown

ethnicity- white

characteristics- a bit ditzy, unfocused,but  resilient, harbours a lot of emotional baggage for her aunt. Not particularly brave.

Effect on plot-  it is her emotional traumas the Doctor temporarily takes on allowing him to defat the mummy. Plot wise she is a counterpoint to Clara- both on the same journey, both at the end it seems of a long standing relationship with someone else.

Episode- In the Forest of the Night

28. Character- Maebh

Age of actress- approx 12-14

job- school kid

ethnicity- white

characteristics- suffers from seemingly a mental illness for which she is on medication. Very open to outside influences, brave and plucky, curious but takes everything, wondrous and mundane at face value.

Effect on plot- she drives the plot and is the solution to it.

Episode- Last Christmas

29. Character-  Shona

Age of Actress- 27

job- works in a shop/scientist dream version

ethnicity- white

characteristics- grounded, speaks her mind, observant, indecisive, dreamer

effect on plot- she is the introduction to the group and its most representative member being an everyday person. Her dream role of being a scientist contrasts with her actual life but her experiences do help her overcome her indecisiveness in her real life and make a choice.

30. Character- Fiona

Age of Actress- 62

job- unknown in real world/Professor in dream

Ethnicity- white

characteristics- level headed, methodical, analytical but compassionate

effect on plot- she often acts as the viewers thinking process, linking the Doctors threads together, she is the mother of the group too.

31. Character- Ashley

Age of Actress- 31

job- hairdresser/scientist

ethnicity- British Zimbabwean

characteristics- smart, quick witted, skeptical, bit self centred..

Effect on plot- helps out in piecing together what is happening.

Episode- Under the Lake/Before the Flood

32. Character- Cass

Age of actress- 34

job- originally second in command and then leader of the underwater base

ethnicity- white

characteristics- very smart, insightful, passionate, quick witted, strong.

Effect on plot- she takes command of the base and its crew, she teams up with Clara to set the doctors plan ion motion. She also the first main character to be deaf and communicate only in sign language.

*notable for being the first deaf actor on the show I a main role

33. Character- O'Donell

Age of Actress- 34

job- scientist/engineer

ethnicity- white

characteristics- calm on the exterior but bubbly and excitable beneath. Adventurous, amiable, jokey but with a serious side and not to be got on the wrong side of. Uncomfortable expressing her emotions.

Effect of plot- she is likeable character doomed to die, and serves part of the overall narrative on pre-destiny and time paradoxes.

Episode- Sleep No more

34. Character- Nagata

Age of actress- *unknown)

job- special unit soldier

ethnicity- British Chinese

characteristics- commander of the rescue team. Nervous but determined. Quick to take decisions but tends to question herself after the event.

Effect on plot- to lead a doomed group of soldiers to their demise.

*notable for casting the shows first transgender actress in a main role- that of the Grunt.

Episode- Hell Bent

35. Character- The General

age of actress (unknown)

job- General of  Armies of Gallifrey

characteristics- too early to say yet, dry witted though.

*notable for being the first on-screen regeneration ever from a male to a female.

Female Companions

36. Character- Amy Pond

Age of actress- 22-25

Job- kissogram/model/travel journalist/children's author

ethnicity- white

characteristics- fiery, passionate, uncompromising, direct, confident in her looks and in their effect, evasive, secretive, keeps her real emotions bottled up and presents a harsh exterior. Dependable, loyal, loving and compassionate. But also quick tempered and prone to making rash judgements in the moment based on strong emotions.

Story arc- starts off as a child when she meets the Doctor, and subsequently grows up being told by everyone she made him up, including a line of psychiatrists. This has led her to bottle everything up and to be prickly in her dealing with the world, and to lack any real purpose or direction.
Over her course of time with the Doctor she comes to terms with the real Doctor versus the imaginary friend of her childhood and begins to accept who she is and how her life is.
She marries Rory when she loves him but not when she is actually ready to commit to him and give up her Doctor life.
They have a child together but she is taken from them as a bay and raised in an orphanage whilst being genetically mucked about with and indoctrinated to be a sleeper assassin for the Doctor.
Amy comes to terms with this by accepting that changing events would mean effectively be killing the River she knows, but it still is an open wound that leads Amy to murder Kovarian in revenge for it.  

Amy remains unsettled unable to keep a job down or settle for any length of time into normal life, and its only when events push her to choice and after Amy gives us her definition of marriage, as something which is done 'together or not at all' that she finally reaches the place where she is ready to commit herself to leaving the Doctor and her travels and being with Rory.
Amy's story is largely one of putting to bed old dreams and demons of childhood, and finding herself and then becoming settled in her own skin and who she is and choosing that life and to leave behind the things of childhood. Its a fairy-story about growing up.

37. Character- Clara Oswald

Age of actress- 25-29

job- nanny/school teacher

Ethnicity- white

characteristics- controlling, calm exterior but insecure beneath, bubbly, brave, intelligent, humorous, caring, overconfident.

story arc- Clara really has two.

Impossible Girl- series 6-7- During this period she was more plot device than fully rounded character. Her main characteristic during this time was being controlling- she never went off with the Doctor she made him come get her at her prearranged times for example. She was also very bubbly, and excitable, speaking in rapid sentences, she also displayed  a strong desire to get away and see things, yet an unwillingness to let go.
Her arc here ends in her realisation that she sacrifices herself for the Doctor by entering his time line and being copied throughout time and space. And its here she is finally willing to let everything else go, to let up control and do what she has to do to save everyone.

This trait of being important in the Doctors life continues- she is instrumental in his decision to save Gallifrey by being his compassion and reminded him of who he is and what he stands for. And she comforts the child Doctor into learning how to use his fear.

She has a second arc which begins when 12 comes along. This arc concerns her development into a more fully rounded character, we see more of her domestic and personal life and her work life as a teacher. We see her in a doomed relationship with someone else who is also controlling. We also later learn that she is bi-sexual.
And we see that she is picking up more and more of the Doctors traits and is acting more and more like him.
This finally culminates in her seeming death from acting as he would in a similar situation but in the end she is saved by the Doctor at the end of her life and confronts him on his plan to erase her memory as he did Donna's. Making the Doctor realise what he has become and how wrong his actions are no matter their intentions
Clara leaves the show in her own TARDIS with her companion- one who will never die, and on the run from the Time-lords. In essence she has become the Doctor Clara and is presented as his equal.

Behind the Scenes

Moffat era

Female Producers- 5

Female Directors- 4

Female Writers- 2

RTD era for comparison

Female Producers- 3

Female Directors- 2

Female Writers- 1

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Don't mind me, just keeping this for future reference. Will look at the rest soon, first I'm getting the kids out of here and to bed where it's safe. Laughing

Pettytyrant101 wrote:...As Moffat is head writer, and can rewrite himself, demand rewrites of others, insert or remove material as he sees fit, this list includes all female characters in his era. They are all if not Moffat penned then Moffat approved. So its an overview of the entire period from series 5 to 9.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 pm

Clara leaves the show in her own TARDIS with her companion- one who will never die, and on the run from the Time-lords. In essence she has become the Doctor Clara and is presented as his equal.

What the...? :facepalm: Oh how delightful, it's a Doctor Donna AU fix it story. God, how I wish I didn't know this. The RTD jealousy has been very clear for a long time but this is just sad.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:00 pm

{{I don't see it as any sort of jealousy- the two of them are good friends by all accounts. It does however call the Doctors actions into question regards taking the decision out of Donna's hands and making it for her without her choice or consent.

CLARA: No. Doctor, whatever you're about to do, don't do it.
DOCTOR: It won't hurt, it'll be nothing. You'll just pass out for a moment.
CLARA: And then?
DOCTOR: When you wake, you'll be fine.
CLARA: But
DOCTOR: Clara, just listen to me.
CLARA: Just say it. Say it. Come on. Tell me.
DOCTOR: When you wake up, you will have forgotten me. You'll have forgotten we ever even met.
CLARA: And why would I want that?

DOCTOR: I'm trying to keep you safe.
CLARA: Why? Nobody's ever safe. I've never asked you for that, ever. These have been the best years of my life, and they are mine. Tomorrow is promised to no one, Doctor, but I insist upon my past. I am entitled to that. It's mine.
DOCTOR: Oh, Clara Oswald. What am I doing? You're right. You're always, always right.

But its better seen in context as its superbly performed too.

But we are supposed to be discussing sexism- and I dont se ehow clara being treated equally by the end as the Doctor is sexist in any way, quite the opposite in fact}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:54 pm

I cant touch dis

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Petty wrote:But we are supposed to be discussing sexism

Well you are certainly allowed to say that that's what you want to discuss. Wink

That aside though.
About your list, which is a good list. If you plan to post this elsewhere, I do have one tip. It's an observation and a kind advise, but I will be blunt. You might want to NOT list religious as a negative quality, as you are likely to get a discussion you really don't want. "That's not what I meant!" Well, it doesn't matter what you meant, it's what people think you meant that will get you in trouble. Don't list 'religious' as the last item in list of bad traits, and don't say: Muslim, but has good qualities. I grantee you the whole thing will derail.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I cant touch dis

All New Who - Page 3 Hah_zpse19c8cb6 All New Who - Page 3 Nerdefest_zps9148bfa5

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 pm

{{Well given it was set up as a starting point to debate sexism by setting out all the female characters its hardly surprising I'd like the discussion to be on the proposed topic. That is the point of the lengthy list after all. Mad

I don't think calling a muslim liberal is any way offensive, there are liberal muslims you know. And the religious aspect of the other character is presented as a negative in the episode. Shrugging

Figg- come on play along! Its set up for ease of access- just pick the characters you have a problem with- name and number and we discuss their merits. You are always saying he is sexist when it comes to female characters shouldn't be hard therefore for you to pick one out for debate}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:51 pm

Like I said, it doesn't matter a bit what you meant or intended or truly feel about something. If it CAN be read wrong then it WILL be read wrong.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:06 am

{{But it says what I meant! Mad - the Muslim is a liberal Muslim the religious person the religion is a negative effect on them- that's not my fault, its just how they are presented in the episode, in the case of Gillyflower there are no positive character traits to set alongside her being religious, and I included it as a character trait because it is her apocalyptic religious beliefs which influence her actions and leads to her setting up her institution.}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:22 am

Religious Muslim but (list of good traits).

Meaning: Muslim is bad, but luckily she has good qualities too.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:34 am

{{her faith is presented as a positive for her in the episode (even if it also leads her to getting horribly murdered by a space Minotaur), having to state she is a liberal muslim after muslim is more a sad comment on our times when any mentin of muslim tends to imply bad and needs caveated}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:39 am

An interesting list Petty. It reminds me of some characters I enjoyed and others I didn't. (I tried to stop reading when certain parts stopped making sense).
A hypothetical question though:  if sexism were a subjective trait, what data would be necessary to support an objective debate about it? scratch

Last edited by David H on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:40 am

It is purely a writing techincal issue, Petty. Just trying to he helpful.

The weather is nice but dry.
The weather is nice and dry.

Muslim but liberal, optimist, intelligent
Muslim, liberal, optimist, intelligent

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum