halfwise
Eldorion
Orwell
12 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

All New Who - Page 20 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:13 am

Petty suggests we list our favourite episodes of NuWho... And then proceeds to list all of the episodes of NuWho.  Rolling Eyes

What about our favourite per that season?

P.S.
I'm joking about you listing all of the episodes Peppermint Petty, it's just that the list you worked on is too large for me to be able to react to it in whole in any kind of meaningful fashion! I can only react to a small portion of it in anything like a response, and any of my favourite episodes are already on that list!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:33 am

{{And I thought I did quite well limiting it to about 3-5 episodes per series out of a possible 13 per series! Mad But if you cant react in a meaningful manner, though I am not sure why not Suspect then react to a small bit of it- like just series 1. Just list your favourite episodes from it and ideally why. I tell you starting Who debates on here is far harder than it ought to be Mad }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:10 am

And ending them impossible!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:40 am

Long weekend away. Huan, you are in charge! That's a good boy! Very Happy

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:58 am

Hmm...

Series 1:

Father's Day-for the character development, and simple, but touching story

Dalek-for being one of the best Dalek stories (i.m.o) that reestablished them as a serious threat, probably also Eccleston's strongest performance i.m.o

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances-a classic story, that introduces an intriguing companion in Jack and combines horror, humour and character development really well.

Overall Series 1 is one of the better seasons, with the most consistent character development.

Series 2:

School Renion- I agree that the plot and bad guy are fairly crap, but it's a simple, very fun romp that brings back Sarah Jane wonderfully

The Girl in The Fireplace-Intriguing premise, amusing and moving at the same time, excellent pacing, and a very creepy villain.

The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit-solid base under siege story, even if the giant devil was very cheesy...

Series 3 (I don't think I've seen this since it was first aired, so my memories are quite vague)

Blink-a classic for all the obvious reasons

42-great pacing, lots of action, good character drama

Human Nature/The Family of Blood- imaginative villains, a believable period setting (that doesn't shy away from the racism of the time), excellent performances by all the major players, and a very emotional, but dark storyline...I wonder how it compares to the novel?

4th Series:

The Fires of Pompei-what you said

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead- intriguing premise, very scary and effective villains, introduces River Song in what is still her best episode i.m.o, it uses Donna very well, excellent direction.

Midnight-great premise, pacing, solid acting and very taught direction make this a classic i.m.o.

Specials:

The Waters Of Mars-excellent base under siege story, the limited cast are put to very good effect and the aliens remain some of the creepiest of New Who.

The 11th hour-for the reasons you said

Vincent and The Doctor-I mostly agree with you, even I do find it to be a tad melodramtic

The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone-superbly paced, lots of action, good drama and acting, River is brought back with a bang and the weeping angels remain as creepy as ever.

Series 6 and 7...I haven't seen alot of the episodes so it wouldn't be fair for me to choose a favourite.

Mummy and Flatline-for the reasons you said

Into The Dalek-solid, action packed Dalek Story, really dig how cold and mysterious 12 is in this story.

Series 9

...I loved every episode apart from Sleep No more...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:05 am

Go to about the 5 minute mark on this Video, Frazer Hines impression of Patrick Troughton is excellent, I've heard him do in a couple of Big Finish's lost stories, at at points it really is like having Patrick Troughton back

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:23 pm

{{{You really should get round to series 6 and 7 some time Malick- some very good episodes in there imo.
Love Hines- he is on my list of folk Id like to see back- Jamie and 12!!!
Interesting that our lists are very similar with only the occasional differences. }}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:29 pm

OK.  Razz

Loved all Rose, Donna and Martha episodes

Hated all Amy and Clara episodes.

eetsa wery wery simples innit.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:37 pm

{{I am not sure you are entirely engaging with the spirit of things Figg Mad - you ain't supposed to list anything you 'hate' this is supposed to be about episodes we all enjoyed. Mad I also find it hard to believe you're do hate everything from the end of series 4 onwards as that would mean you have been watching every episode for the last six years without liking any of it, and even you wouldn't do that. I also doubt you love everything from series 1- 4 , as that means rating episodes like Fear Her above any episode from series 5-8 and thats Trump mad that is. }}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:09 pm

I must be Trump mad then. Shrugging

I am struggling to think of even one episode from Amy and Clara's run that I actually love. I did like the Vincent one though. But that's because he is a sexy redhaired Vincent. Razz and not a batshit crazy psycho Vincent.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:45 pm

I must be Trump mad then.- Figg

{{you must be Figg if you regard Fear Her, widely regarded as the worst episodes of Doctor Who ever committed to screen, to be better than anything in the last five series. Hard to see your reply, rather than taking part in the proposed debate, as anything other than just yet another weak excuse to dig at the Steven M years and put Russel era on a pedestal beyond criticisms- even Fear Her. Which is rather what I was hoping to avoid with a discussion of episodes we like regardless of which era they are from.}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:08 pm

er we seem to have hit a Timey Wimey time loop paradox thingie where you accuse me of hating His Smurfness, but that cant be right. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:14 pm

I did enjoy Fear Her. Actually. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:21 pm

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:37 pm

OK first I'll tell you that on my connection it took me 3 minutes to even load that post enough to look at the titles.

Then as I was reading through the titles without looking at your comments I made note of my first reaction. Many of them I'd forgotten, a few of them I don't think I've seen, and most of them I remember enjoying.

The short list of the ones that made a little light go on "Wow, I'd kinda like to watch that right now!" were Father's Day, Blink, Vincent, and Doctor's Wife. All simple stand-alone episodes that are character-driven and have heart.

I'm not saying that they're objectively the "best" whatever that means, just that they stood out in my emotional memory.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:59 pm

where you accuse me of hating His Smurfness, but that cant be right- Figg

{{{ I don't have to accuse you Figg it was self evident in the manner you replied- everyone else, myself included has managed to find episodes we enjoy across all of NuWho regardless of our feelings about the show runner of the time- they dont write every episode. Only you choose to use it as an excuse to to say the entirety of Steven M's run is worthless- a point so unlikely, not even you would watch a show you hate for longer than you watched it when you liked it, that it can only be considered as deliberate trolling.

David- I think single contained episodes are often the most rewatchable of a series. Theres a few others I would add to your list there for myself, but thats a good solid start there to a good set of Who standalone.  I enjoyed last series a lot, and it was almost entirely two-parters- but I wouldn't like them to do that every series (and news is for series 10 they are mainly standalone again) }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:10 pm

According to wiki:

It was announced in January 2016 that Series 10 would be Steven Smurf's final series as showrunner, after which he will be replaced in the role by Chris Chibnall in 2018.[8]

In May 2016, Steven Smurf confirmed in the 500th issue of Doctor Who Magazine that he would be writing the first, tenth, eleventh and twelfth episodes of the series.*[9] Furthermore, he stated that the series would consist mostly of single-part stories so that the new companion, Bill, could have more stories to explore her character, **though two-parters would still be present in the series.[10] Smurf will also be writing the 2017 Christmas special, after the tenth series has concluded.[11] On 6 June 2016, Mark Gatiss confirmed he would be writing an episode for the series.[12] In 2015, Gatiss discussed that he might write a sequel for the ninth series episode "Sleep No More".***[13]

Lawrence Gough will be directing the first episode of the tenth series, while Frank Cottrell-Boyce will be writing the series' second episode, after having previous written "In the Forest of the Night" for the eighth series.[1] Sarah Dollard, who wrote "Face the Raven" for the ninth series will also write the series' third episode, and playwright Mike Bartlett will write the fourth episode.[1]

*Hmm...10,11 and 12? Three parter finale? Maybe another trilogy for Peter Jackson to direct...

**A good idea i.m.o, more variety and short and snappy stories will force them to put more effort into the character development, I enjoyed the 2 parters in Series 9, but we'll be waiting so long for this series another run of two parters could make it feel like half a series.

*** Extremely Crabbit

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm

{{{Three part finale is good for me, I really enjoyed the last one, gives a finale the time to breath without the arc having to eat too much into preceding stories.

Agree more single part stories are a good idea after a long wait.

Maybe Gatiss will somehow turn it round and we will look back on the first one with new eyes- or maybe not as its Gatiss.
Interesting to see Bartlett is doing ep 4- thats news to me as they hadnt confirmed that far ahead last I saw- good to know. I am keen to see what he brings to the mix.
Also hoping to see Maithesons name crop again soon for writing credits this series, and wonder if we will see Gaiman return? He did say he would hate to miss the chance to write for 12, and for al we know this is 12's last series- hope not- but right now we just cant say either way. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:24 pm

I just want to say that I accept Figg's statement that she doesn't care for Amy or Clara's characters at face value. That just seems obvious to me. I don't see why that has to be a Smurf question. Shrugging

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:and for all we know this is 12's last series- hope not- but right now we just cant say either way.  }}}

They are filming for the next 10 months, and I'd assume they want Series 11 back in an Easter/Summer slot again, so Capaldi wouldn't have to make his mind up for over a year...

(Really hope he stays, frankly I might stop watching again if he does go)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:45 pm

I accept Figg's statement that she doesn't care for Amy or Clara's characters at face value.- David

that wasnt her statement she said - 'Hated all Amy and Clara episodes.'

Which coincidentally is the entire Steven M run of course. And is untrue- as she has on the past on here at time of broadcast spoken of episodes she has enjoyed, Forest of the Night and The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe spring immediately to mind- so saying she 'hated' it all seems like just an excuse to have another go at the Steven M era, instead of doing what everyone else has done, and just made a list of episodes they enjoyed from each series for discussion.
And I really dontl ike Rose- but she was still in some good stories despite that, they are on my list, and there are good stories around her time in the show she is not heavily in. Not liking a companion is not the be all and end all of a show as varied episode to episode as Who is.

There are 13 episodes from a variety of writers, some of them the same writers as under Davies, to choose from a series. The notion that they all suddenly are incapable of producing a single story worthy of mention is ridiculous, or that they suddenly forgot how to under Steven M's eveil glare when previously they were seemingly faultless is ridiculous.
And given NuWHo has been on the air now for 11 years and only 4 of them were Davies series, that means Figg has apparently being watching a show week in and out, year after year that she can find no single redeeming quality for. Why would anyone do that?

So no, I dont accept it at face value whatsoever.
I don't see how a blanket statement like 'Hated all Amy and Clara episodes' isnt therefore trolling. Especially when the topic as to talk only about episodes we enjoyed. Hating anything should not even come up. Let alone the entire content of one particular showrunners entire run. }}}}

{{{Malick- I find it really hard to imagine Who right now without Capaldi. Hopefully Chibnall can see what he has got in Capaldi, and Capaldi's love for the show keeps him holding out for Tom's record- and we will be sorted for a few years yet Nod }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I accept Figg's statement that she doesn't care for Amy or Clara's characters at face value.- David

that wasnt her statement she said -  'Hated all Amy and Clara episodes.'

Not what I was talking about. That one had a pokey tongue before it and a silly Italian accent after it. It sure looked like friendly teasing to me.
Sending PM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Thank you Dave for being the voice of reason. Very Happy

I think it was obvious I was having a joke. Rolling Eyes well to anyone but Petty who seems determined to take umbridge.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:21 pm

ok so I didn't actually hate all of the Amy and Clara runs, but I didn't particularly like them either, they just didn't do anything for me, and some of them I found actively offensive or boring. Smurfs style is obviously not for me.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:58 pm

well to anyone but Petty who seems determined to take umbridge.- Figg

The reason I take umbridge Figg is I put time into this stuff, valuable time (nearly two hours on the last topic post with vids to help refresh memory), to keep things going on the forum, to engage in topics on Who that are not about the Steven M -Davies issues- and every time I try it seems you reply with a one or two line post that somehow or other always amounts to 'hate all Steven M not worth discussing'. Its wearing and is annoying, and it makes me feel like I am wasting my time when I spend it coming up with topics we might discuss and making the opening post on it for others to follow on with.
All I asked was a list of episode you enjoyed from each series, why was that so hard without opening with yet another dig at the Steen M era, joke or otherwise?

Anyhow in other news, Capaldi got asked a question by a 6 year old at a panel, and gave a super off the cuff reply

https://vimeo.com/171636399

For those with slow internet (Dave basically) heres what swas said-

Kid- "When I grow up, I want to be a part of Doctor Who. What should I do to get there?"

Capaldi- "Well you're doing the right thing by coming here. You've got to be nice to your Mum. You've got to be kind to people. You've got to work hard, and make the very best of the gifts that you have, of your talents, and take them out into the world.
If you work hard, if you're kind, and you're lucky, that will all be recognised. And if you write to the BBC, and say 'I love Doctor Who, I'd love to work on it,' and then put that letter in a file somewhere. When you're old enough, they may want to see you, and talk to you about it.
But the important thing is to have that ambition, to want to do that. Because if you want to do something like that, it means you're a clever, and bright, and creative person. That's the most important thing to take forward; to take forward that belief in yourself, and a belief of how valuable it is to bring creativity into the world.
So you'll do fine."}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum