Pettytyrant101
Bluebottle
halfwise
20 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Star Wars [2] - Page 17 Empty Re: Star Wars [2]

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:42 am

The Star Wars bug has still got me in its grasp (along with the flu bug Mad) so I figured I'd try reading some of the new EU novels. The one I heard the most good things about was Lost Stars, so I decided to start there.

Star Wars [2] - Page 17 KNPH8ma

I fucking loved it. The book is 551 pages long and I read it in a single day. The book is marketed as YA and like a lot of YA fiction it is a very fast read but I would hate to see this book marginalized by SW fans because of the label slapped on it. As someone who works in a bookstore, I can tell you that the divisions between juvenile, YA, and adult fiction are extremely arbitrary and that there's a lot of overlap. Lost Stars is at its core about a romance between two people who both go into the Imperial Academy together but end up on opposite sides of the Galactic Civil War, but it's also about the big picture in the SW Galaxy during that time. I would never describe it as mushy; the characters (who are adults for most of the book) are fantastic and the depiction of romance and sex ("fade to black" sex scenes, but still) was genuinely moving to me. It touches a lot on the tensions between duty and love, loyalty and honor and stuff like that but it doesn't get preachy and feels emotionally honest to the very end. It sort of reminded me of Death Star from the old EU in terms of depicting scenes from the original trilogy from the point of view of background characters/extras from the movies, and like Death Star this did occasionally feel corny, but I thought it was handled well and at the end of the day enjoyed both books very much. But I think I'd put Lost Stars ahead ... it really spoke to the romantic in me, who doesn't always get to come out all that much. I don't want to spoil the ending but I was definitely invested in the characters and ... well, I'll just say that I think all the emotions in the final act are thoroughly earned. You can argue that there are plot contrivances but the book deals with the question of spirituality and the Force and given what we know of the Star Wars universe I think we're supposed to believe in Fate and Destiny here. I have no problem doing that with this book. It's a different sort of story from the main SW movies but it still felt like part of the same universe. Highly recommended.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:09 am

Nice! It's meaningful to have an example of this "great conglomerate of Star Wars Universe writing" that people keep talking about.

It's about crabbit time Petty!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:12 am

At 8.47 is where it sent me into a fit of giggles Laughing

Star Wars [2] - Page 17 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Star Wars [2] - Page 17 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:44 am

Cheers, Forest! Very Happy

The Emperor is definitely one of the best parts of Robot Chicken Star Wars, az. Laughing

And yes, Petty, we're all looking forward to your review... :drum:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:39 am

Its on the way-ish.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:04 pm

SW- The Force Awakens -Crabbit Review (Um, part 1)

Spoiler:

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:00 pm

I agree with everything you've said. The film felt contrived to redo Star Wars, not continue it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:59 pm

Crabbit review of Force Awakens- part 2

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:50 pm

I watched it. I quite liked it. It was wasn't brilliant, it wasn't bad. It was comfort food. I was entertained. loved the little round droid. I love you it reminds me of one of my kitties.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:01 pm

If you think of it as comfort food it was ok. But even when Star Wars was being stupid (ewoks, Jar-Jar and love scenes) it still mostly felt innovative. I missed the feeling of something new.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:05 pm

I think Rey got away with implausible skills because it was unexpected - it was kinda cute to have a young girl bitch slap a storm trooper around and jury rig the Falcon. If it had been your typical twenty-something male hero with the same background I don't think the audience would have bought it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:14 pm

I didn't buy it with a female. There is no explanation of her skills or why she has them. Or if having those skills we she scavenges for a living when she could easily make more money simpler a few miles away using the obvious skills she has.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:19 pm

I'm not saying it makes any more logical sense, just that it pulled the emotional strings enough to cut off the logic circuits. She did a great job with the part: providing the audience a combination of admiring her toughness while still rooting for the lost waif.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:20 pm

Speculation is that Rey was being force trained by Luke when she was a child and this is the force "awakening" inside her. Though I don't think she should have been that successful in her force endeavors, and I would have like to have seen the Falcon get a little more beat up when she was flying it. Either that or make her a great pilot like Luke and Anakin, don't have her say "I don't know!" when Finn asks her where she learned to fly like that.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:31 pm

just that it pulled the emotional strings enough to cut off the logic circuits- Halfy

When it comes to crabbit analysis Halfy my emotional strings have been cut.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:39 pm

I think the Force was awakened when she came into contact with the mystical mythical object, the light sabre of luke. Its like she went into the temple-like structure overseen by the All Seeing priestess, came into contact with the object and was awoken.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:42 pm

Yeah she had visions from Luke v. Vader at Bespin to Kylo Ren killing off Luke's students. Rey and Luke are clearly connected/related in some way.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Interesting points Petty. A couple of thoughts.

- The mission to kill Max von Sydow was Finn's first combat mission as a Stormtrooper. Previously he'd just been a cadet/trainee/what have you. That's why he was so shaken by it.

- I thought BB-8 was plenty charming and memorable just being able to play off the human characters. Him racing towards Poe (the X-wing pilot) when they get back to the Rebel base was as touching a moment as any droid-related scene in SW has ever been.

- I won't try to respond to any of your points about Rey by referring to ancillary material not found in the film itself, but the film does make it clear that she was left with the junk dealer dude when she was abandoned on Jakku so I imagine that's how she got into the scavenging business. I'm reluctant to draw too many conclusions about her though since she's meant to be a cypher so far; but I will be disappointed if Episode VIII doesn't answer some of these questions.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Eldorion wrote:
- I thought BB-8 was plenty charming and memorable just being able to play off the human characters. Him racing towards Poe (the X-wing pilot) when they get back to the Rebel base was as touching a moment as any droid-related scene in SW has ever been.

"Hey, buddy!" I thought I was gonna die right then. BB-8 is like a cute little dog. I love you

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:11 pm

The mission to kill Max von Sydow was Finn's first combat mission as a Stormtrooper.- Edlo

What did he think he had joined up to? Traffic control? Wasnt he a bit curious why he was being trained to shoot stuff and being given full armour and weaponry? Seriously, he didnt realise what Stormtroopers did till then?

'was as touching a moment as any droid-related scene in SW has ever been.'

As I said, cute is its defining trait. Thats what you get, its loveable in the way a puppy is but compare it to the personalities we have of R2 and C3PO by the same point in the original film.

'the film does make it clear that she was left with the junk dealer dude when she was abandoned on Jakku so I imagine that's how she got into the scavenging business.'

Doesn't explain why with her skills she would stay and work all day for half a days rations.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:22 pm

All soldiers are taught to shoot and kill, but they expect to be sent to fight for something they can believe in. However, there is some backstory about Stormtroopers being raised almost from birth for the job which doesn't fit in, and I don't quite remember the details as given.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 pm

she didn't know she had skills at that point.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:28 pm

they expect to be sent to fight for something they can believe in. - Halfy

They are called Stormtroopers- he knows they are building a secret planet killing weapon because he worked there. His boss is a psychotic woman in full body armour inclusion facemask, even indoors,and his overall boss dresses head to foot in black and speaks in a sinister voice saying sinister things. He would have to be a fucking idiot not to have some inclining- thats why it made so laugh so much- its so much like that Webb sketch.

she didn't know she had skills at that point.- Figg

She has demonstrably skills earlier on- she can speak droid, she can fight, she is resourceful, takes care of herself, she is intelligent. Yet she works for half a days rations when there is a perfectly good town nearby where her skills would get her far better employment.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
She has demonstrably skills earlier on- she can speak droid, she can fight, she is resourceful, takes care of herself, she is intelligent. Yet she works for half a days rations when there is a perfectly good town nearby where her skills would get her far better employment.

You mean that outpost that was over ten times smaller than Mos Eisley?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Might have been smaller but still had obvious work- waitress, mechanics- plenty Chiles- anything is better than working for half a days rations, and given she is supposed to be waiting she spends most of her time out on her own out of touch scavenging.

And she speaks droid- one of the only humans we ever seen in the SW universe who appears ot speak fluent droid- and she cant get a job in a galaxy full of droids?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next