azriel
David H
malickfan
17 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Television programmes [2] - Page 2 Empty Re: Television programmes [2]

Post by halfwise Sun May 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Wish I wasn't so busy that I could stop and just sink into them. The quality of season 1 is just astounding....every bit of acting rings true, the cinematography, the music - all complementing deftly constructed scripts. I think the half hour format works to their advantage, forcing writers to crystallize everything down to the essentials. I never before realized what an art form the 30 minute script is, like a haiku or sonnet.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun May 17, 2015 1:16 pm

I, being of great age, remember The Twilight Zone Very Happy  & I loved it ! One episode piece sticks in my mind is.....about a child in a cot & when the camera draws near you see that its actually a baby Frankenstein ! thats all I can remember. That, & "The Invaders" ! another fun TV show, about aliens zapping people & this guy forever running away from them.

The music was enough to give you the willies ! pale

Television programmes [2] - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Television programmes [2] - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun May 17, 2015 2:22 pm

azriel wrote:I, being of great age, remember The Twilight Zone Very Happy  & I loved it ! One episode piece sticks in my mind is.....about a child in a cot & when the camera draws near you see that its actually a baby Frankenstein !

I didn't recall this as an episode of The Twilight Zone, but I googled it and it turns out to be a short segment from Serling's Night Gallery.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun May 17, 2015 2:26 pm

halfwise wrote:Wish I wasn't so busy that I could stop and just sink into them.  The quality of season 1 is just astounding....every bit of acting rings true, the cinematography, the music - all complementing deftly constructed scripts.  I think the half hour format works to their advantage, forcing writers to crystallize everything down to the essentials.  I never before realized what an art form the 30 minute script is, like a haiku or sonnet.

Yeah, you can tell that they often struggled in season 4 when they switched to 60 minute episodes in order to compete with The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Ah thanks Bungo ! Very Happy Got myself muddled up ! Durrr ! I used to watch that as well

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun May 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Oh I say chaps Smile Tonight on BBC1 is the drama...Jonathon Strange & Mr Norell

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Going to give that a go on iplayer later? Anyone read the books?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 pm

No bugger I will have to wait to watch that its not on here.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Potentially looks very good-

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 17, 2015 10:06 pm

yep that looks great. Actors are top notch.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun May 17, 2015 10:37 pm

It was good ! just up my alley ! look forward to the next part.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun May 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Just watched the second episode of Norell and Strange, still excellent. Really enjoying the pacing of it and the manner in which faery interaction is presented- the idea of being taken away every night to dance with the faeries as a sort of hell is ingenious and falls nicely into the faery myths of this part of the world.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun May 24, 2015 10:46 pm

I enjoyed it also, I like the way Eddie Marsan is playing Norell. Marc Warren is sinister enough without being going in the gay panto baddie direction, the beach scene was fun & I like J.Strange's wife, tough little cookie that is quite believable Very Happy I see its 7 episodes ?....... good !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue May 26, 2015 5:42 pm

OH geez! I didn't know it was out yet!

Although my crabbit is being heavily provoked by the news that a certain female character is, by the second episode, ALREADY being magicked away to Faery every night. Talk about muddling up the timeline of things!

And it's not books Petty, but book. A rather massive tome that reads like a classic 19th century work and pretends to authenticity in its relating of (actually fictitious) historical events surrounding magic. I rather doubt that the tone of invented history will come across in the finished television series...
But we shall see! Next year, or whenever the stupid BBC finally sends it my way.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue May 26, 2015 5:46 pm

OH geez! I didn't know it was out yet!

Although my crabbit is being heavily provoked by the news that a certain female character is, by the second episode, ALREADY being magicked away to Faery every night. Talk about muddling up the timeline of things!

And it's not books Petty, but book. A rather massive tome that reads like a classic 19th century work and pretends to authenticity in its relating of (actually fictitious) historical events surrounding magic. I rather doubt that the tone of invented history will come across in the finished television series...
But we shall see! Next year, or whenever the stupid BBC finally sends it my way.

Although, at least several people on IMDB seem to think quite highly of it:

jar cheese2012 wrote:
About seven years ago I had to work away from home for three weeks, so I needed a decent book to read. I decided on Susanna Clarke's massive, doorstop of a novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It was recommended with a glowing review by Neil Gaiman and that was a good enough recommendation for me. At over a thousand pages I thought that it would keep me company for the entire three weeks and more.

After ten days I needed to find another book. It was the first book in years that I had been totally engrossed in and also one which has stayed with me for much longer than the ten days it took me to read it. I have championed this book wherever I've lived and it is certainly one of the top five books I've ever read. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy literature, finding most of it turgid and unreadable, but because Susanna Clarke grounds her fantasy firmly in its own reality it was totally original and unique, like nothing I'd ever read before or since, and so when I heard that it was being adapted for television I was at first excited then worried that they would mess it up.

After watching the first episode I can now say that not only did the BBC NOT mess it up but it exceeded my expectations. It was brilliantly designed, capturing the the flavour of the book's feel and it was superbly cast - Eddie Marsan is good in anything he's in, and he perfectly captures Norrell's isolationist magician. Bertie Carvel, who I've never heard of, was the flibbertigibbet Jonathan Strange I imagined from the book and Marc Warren was suitably sinister as the Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair. A great start to a series that is going to get weirder and weirder as it goes on, if it continues to follow the book. Marvellous.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed May 27, 2015 1:02 am

Anyone else watching Daredevil? I've binge-watched all but three eps. Can't believe the next season starts next April Mad

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Television programmes [2] - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Up to episode 3 in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel and still really enjoying it.

All 3 episodes are on ProjectFreeTv for those without access to BBC Iplayer (as always go prepared to such sites with ad blocks ect) but I checked the episodes out and they are there and play- just don't sign up to anything! if any box pops up asking you to, just close it down again.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/internet/jonathan_strange_and_mr_norrell/

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:00 pm

Yep Very Happy next one sunday night ! Marc Warren gives me the shivers. quietly creepy silent

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:40 pm

I was a bit unimpressed by it, but am willing to give it a chance. That white haired dude is very creepy.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:13 pm

I've been trying to catch up on my Outlander watching and I've now watched two full episodes without anything even approaching one of these much talked about sex scenes. The show still intrigues me though, and the Scottish highlands are stunning.

Television programmes [2] - Page 2 Outlander-television-fant-007

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:59 am

They're not the only thing that's stunning in that show. :brows:

Television programmes [2] - Page 2 TMmr27d
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:43 am

The next episode was basically a wedding and (for the most part) bedding. Although I have to admit my attention might have been elsewhere. Embarassed

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Anyone looks more stunning in a kilt - if you ever catch sight of me I can assure you, you will be stunned Nod (and thats just from the earthy odour Twisted Evil )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:09 pm

*stunned silence*

Well, at least now we know why Figg likes this show so much. Very Happy

Bluebottle