bungobaggins
Orwell
Forest Shepherd
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Crafty Things Empty Crafty Things

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:50 pm

A thread for sharing crafted things! Artwork that doesn't fit elsewhere, woodcarving (in my case), pottery, Patented Scottish Grime-B-Gone for those persistent and ever-appearing buckie stains (patent pending actually but don't tell anyone that), whatever!

After months of neglect I finally finished the little hiker that I've been working on. I missed my dad's birthday (it was yesterday) but I'm going to send this to him as a late birthday present. Design credit goes to Richard Bütz, from whose helpful book I got this idea.

Crafty Things 16636022344_e91e65ede8_o

P.S.
I just realized I forgot the eyebrows. Razz I guess it's not quite ready to send yet.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Crafty Things Empty Re: Crafty Things

Post by Orwell Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:08 am

Looks good even without the eyebrows, Forest. cheers

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:53 am

That's really cool Forest. Smile

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:35 am

Nicely done Forest! Thumbs Up

What kind of wood did you use?

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:37 am

Well unfortunately I didn't have a good supply sitting around of good carvable wood, so I dragged this old redwood log up from the stream and sawed up a chunk of that to use instead. The wood was, well first of all, redwood, which made it not the best for carving with its uneven grain, but secondly it was a bit brittle from being partially waterlogged over the years and then drying a lot (I guess) so carving it was a bit of a pain.

So redwood anyway. And the base is basswood. And the stick is old plum. Razz

My dad sent out a few planks of basswood (otherwise known as a Lime tree (not the one that produces limes), or Linden), which is this amazingly soft wood. I'm trying out some relief carving with it, which is not going quite as horribly as I expected. I'm hoping to get better at it eventually.
What I really want to try is chip-carving. It's part of my ancestor's Norwegian heritage, and can look really cool as well. I just feel a bit silly buying new knives for it when I haven't really much used the set of gouges and chisels that my dad sent me. I'm quite new to woodworking, but I like it a lot so far.

Right now I'm carving chess pieces from some branches we trimmed off a pine or something in the yard last year. Four of the pieces I finished while I was in Minnesota visiting. We have these cedars up in the woods, and I gathered some short lengths of dead wood to carve while I was there. Cedar wood is ridiculously good-smelling, I must say.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:45 am

Forest, I'm even more impressed, knowing is started as a random piece of redwood.  That crossgrain can be brutal!

Are you far enough north to have red alder?  It's our fast growing firewood around here (WA coast), but it's got a wonderful property for carving. If you carve it when it's green, it carves like butter. No grain at all really!

If you then keep it damp and let it dry very slowly, it will become hard as a rock! (well, a very soft rock,,, but still! Smile  ) If you let it season to quickly though, it'll warp and split, especially thicker pieces.

Again, I don't know if you have it where you are, but if you do you should try a piece.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:13 am

Just barely from the look of this range map!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alnus_rubra#/media/File:Alnus_rubra_range_map_1.png

That being said, I don't think I've seen it around, that I've noticed anyway.
We do have some poplars on our property, I'm not sure which kind. But otherwise, it's mostly just redwoods, eucalyptus, coast live oaks, willows, some buckeye (not sure what kind), some wild plums and a few walnut trees.

I really don't like live oaks. Oak is an excellent strong wood of course, but live oaks are just the worst in my opinion. They have these horrid spiky leaves, they smother plants growing underneath them with their endless leaves (except poison oak and wild blackberries of course, go figure), they're inelegant and tangly with all their dead branches, and don't even smell nice.

There's also an old olive grove up at the top of the property, with trees about 25 feet tall. It's grown wild now and noone tends it, which gives it a kind of mysterious feel to it.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:58 pm

That is lovely Forest, & a lovely present to give, as its "homemade" Which I always enjoy to the max. Ive enjoyed 'hearing' you guys discuss tress & wood. I may not know as much as you about types of wood but, I adore woods, forests, trees, the out door life & creativity using wood. I love the scents, the feel of wood, the peace & calm. My fav tree ( apart from the good old English oak ) is a silver birch & at this time of the year in good old Blighty, the trees are getting dolled up & looking good Very Happy

Crafty Things Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Crafty Things Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Thumbs Up  nice work!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:48 pm

Well I got my new chip-carving knives the other day. They're the Wayne Barton design, so basically a modified and simple Swiss design. They're nice because you only need two knives for this style of chip-carving. Chip-carving was practiced everywhere traditionally it seems, considering how basic of a mechanic is involved (cutting chips out of a, generally, flat piece of wood.) The Germans and Scandinavian styles use more variety of knives, and the English style involves actual gouges and such-like. Or so I've heard.

Anyway, the new knives are nice. I sharpened them both as they had a rather roughly-sharpened edge, and although the bevel on the what-do-you-call-it, slicey one is not as straight as in the book in which I read about them, they seem to cut quite nicely. Here's a picture from online:

Crafty Things S-l1000
The "slicey" one is below, and the... "pushey" (?) one is on top. I really can't remember the names, whatever. Razz

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Do you make spoons? I have a friend goes to spoon crafting fair every year.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:01 pm

My idea of craft is, improvisation. Im constantly either having to make something up as I cant afford the original or, just cuz I can do it myself Very Happy Its fum being "arty farty crafty" putting your own 'stamp' on things Very Happy

Crafty Things Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:36 am

Indeed Azriel! Why buy cheap foreign-made junk that breaks after a year or two (and need to be replaced, how convenient for certain retailers) when you can make your own stuff that can serve you well for a lifetime!

And no Petty, I've only ever made one spoon and that was when I was 14 or so and it came out a bit rough.

I was thinking of making a Cribbage board actually, and send that back to my dad and grandmother. I figure it'd be an easy starting project for this chip-stuff.

But tell me, where is this spoon-crafting fair, somewhere local or down south? Have you seen your friends collection, so to speak? And is wood-working a commonly practiced tradition where you live Petty?

I also splurged and ordered a new planer. It's a pretty nice one and certainly superior (I think) to the one that my dad left here when he moved away. That planer was a smaller metal model that lacked the comfy wooden bits for your hands, was rather rusty, and cut deeper on one side no matter how I fiddled with it. To be honest I feel rather indulgent buying these nice things for myself, but I guess that's kind of what you do as an adult. If you can afford it anyway.

Crafty Things Pialla-come-usarla_NG1

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:44 am

Its called Spoonfest and I think it moves about- this year its in England-

http://spoonfest.co.uk/

I wouldn't say spoons in particular were a commonly crafted thing, but whittling and carving in general is still quite common round here. Shepherds still carve their own heads for crooks out of sheep horn or some similar substance, and some round here do there crafting by chainsaw-

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:01 am

Spoonfest eh? :brows:

Well that looks pretty fun Petty! As for chain-saw carving, well... It strikes me as kind of cheating, like fishing with dynamite. Razz
A horridly-loud and messy method in place of the delightful rip of the handsaw, the wooden thwock-thwock of the mallet and the swish of the planer. Most un-Tolkienish in my opinion!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:01 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:A thread for sharing crafted things! Artwork that doesn't fit elsewhere, woodcarving (in my case), pottery, Patented Scottish Grime-B-Gone for those persistent and ever-appearing buckie stains (patent pending actually but don't tell anyone that), whatever!

After months of neglect I finally finished the little hiker that I've been working on. I missed my dad's birthday (it was yesterday) but I'm going to send this to him as a late birthday present. Design credit goes to Richard Bütz, from whose helpful book I got this idea.

Crafty Things 16636022344_e91e65ede8_o

P.S.
I just realized I forgot the eyebrows.  Razz   I guess it's not quite ready to send yet.

That looks great, Forest, nice piece of handicraft there Very Happy When we were kids, I used to make all sorts of (crappy) stuff with a friend. We still hang out whenever we can, but I'm afraid our crafting days are over Laughing We tried making chess pieces once, but we never finished the set. Great idea for a thread, keep the pics coming Smile

Crafty Things Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:58 pm

A horridly-loud and messy method in place of the delightful rip of the handsaw, the wooden thwock-thwock of the mallet and the swish of the planer. Most un-Tolkienish in my opinion! - Forest

No but you get to the pub a lot earlier Nod drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:38 am

Unless you chop both your arms off!

Then you can only drink buckie through a flimsy straw the rest of your life and people make jokes about how handy you are to have around and how you really over-did it when they asked you if you could lend them a hand.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:50 am

I finally finished my stupid door-carving. I had so much other stuff taking up my non-work free-time that I decided to skip the nice carvings on it and just finished up the double-border chip-carved design instead. So I stained it and sealed it today, and hopefully I can get it hung up before my mom comes back next Monday. The only problem is that the current door-frame isn't the right size, so I need to cut into the wall and form it correctly. I'll get a picture up perhaps, if I can borrow my sister's phone for the task.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:58 am

Id like to see your work ? I love all that natural "Arts n Crafts" Smile

Crafty Things Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:04 am

I actually have dark thoughts about talented people. It dosn't seem right to me. Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:06 am

You funny thing I love you

Crafty Things Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:45 pm

I would like to see your door carving Forest. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:46 pm

Me too. Nod

And where you been hiding Orwell? Under your remaining cranberry plant? Well get out! We miss you! Bloody Ozhobbits Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:03 pm

I have so N)T been hiding! I've been indisposed. Mad And it's two cranberries btw... and flowering! I may have a crop yet. cheers

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next