Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Tinuviel
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Zealand Earthquak Empty New Zealand Earthquak

Post by Tinuviel Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 pm

I was just at the airport when I saw on CNN that there was a (major?) earthquake in New Zealand with at least 65 people dead. Do you think that THIS will further delay the movie????

New Zealand Earthquak Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Earthquak Empty Re: New Zealand Earthquak

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm

I think it's in a different part of the country, but frankly, delays to a movie should be the last thing on anyone's mind with at least 65 people dead and who knows how many injured. My heart goes out to all of the victims and their families.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

As Eldo says I think its in a different part of the country Tin- does somewhat add to the general feeling someone somewhere (other than me) doesn't want this film to go ahead. Its had everything to deal with and now this happening.

"I was just at the airport "- Tin

I didn't know Valinor had one! Shocked

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 am

Well, I kind of convinced Beren to build one Embarassed
And yes, those 65 people will be in my prayers tonight Crying or Very sad

New Zealand Earthquak Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:32 am

I guess there is a glimmer of light in all this. The movies being shot in NZ no doubt will help boost the economy, and that surely can't come at a better time. Another positive is that New Zealanders are a determined tough folk (impossible to beat at Rugby Union) and they'll pick up the pieces as a country and get on with their lives, irrespective of the shadow this tragedy will leave behind.
odo banks
odo banks
Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 am

Yes, while I'm not sure how much additional aid the movies will bring in terms of economic help (NZ is already a developed Western country- how much money can one movie bring in the short-term, I'm not sure) but it can certainly promote the issue, and defiantly help in the recovery and redevelopment stages. Peter Jackson is a nice fella, I wouldn't be surprised if someone to do with The Hobbit Movie, or their company helped out. In fact they are proably more likely to do so being tied up now with filming TH in the country.

But as Odo said,New Zealanders are hardy folk, and that kiwis do know how to pull together. Maybe it's because they are an island, so far apart from the rest of us that they seek help from each other and try to recover. When one part of NZ suffers, they all do- regardless of where they are in the globe. Agreeing with Mr Banks again, I hope that the the legacy of this quake is the excellent recovery and I wish the people of New Zealand the luck to get back on their feat.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:27 pm

On the note of filming delays, Taz has reported on THM that filming has been delayed because of the earthquake. Taz apparently got this information from MSN New Zealand, and both of them cite The Hollywood Reporter. However, just go show why one shouldn't trust Microsoft or bloggers, The Hollywood Reporter has never said such a thing (those three articles are the extent of their reporting on The Hobbit and the earthquake). As far as any reputable sources can tell, filming is still on for 21 March. Why Taz couldn't be arsed to look at the original source of this story and see what was actually reported is anyone's guess.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:05 pm

First rule of journalism Eldo: Even if the story isn't true, if it's interesting run with it! Well that's the logic most newspapers seem to use anyway! Not sure why they would have to delay anyway, if they want to help (which they will) they will do so now.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:52 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12589611

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 pm

It's tragic, and its been a deadly year all around, let's hope no more major disastrous disasters pan out over the rest of the year, however unlikely that may be.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Eldorion wrote:On the note of filming delays, Taz has reported on THM that filming has been delayed because of the earthquake. Taz apparently got this information from MSN New Zealand, and both of them cite The Hollywood Reporter. However, just go show why one shouldn't trust Microsoft or bloggers, The Hollywood Reporter has never said such a thing (those three articles are the extent of their reporting on The Hobbit and the earthquake). As far as any reputable sources can tell, filming is still on for 21 March. Why Taz couldn't be arsed to look at the original source of this story and see what was actually reported is anyone's guess.

Looking at HMN at the mo, it seems to be a picking over of the most directly movie related stories from TORn, and reliability doesn't seem to be top priority (added pages for post a story and ads show the focus I think!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Kafria wrote:Looking at HMN at the mo, it seems to be a picking over of the most directly movie related stories from TORn, and reliability doesn't seem to be top priority (added pages for post a story and ads show the focus I think!

Yeah, it's the poor man's TORn, but at least he's updating the site regularly. As for accuracy, well, the fact that the new ad page calls PT the "largest leading resource on J.R.R. Tolkien" should go to show how much he cares about accuracy. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:23 am

Poor man's Torn? You mean there is more than one variety?  Shocked 

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:45 am

What's HMN?

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:05 am

Hobbit Movie News- used to be the main page on the Bree site before it went the way of the dodo.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:10 am

I wonder why that couple bought the site in the first place.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:41 am

It was bought to be run down. Bree was ok all the time Peejers got roses for LOTRs but the minute he got cabbages for The Hobbit, Bree couldnt be allowed to continue, not in such a negative vein. Looking back it was mostly negative & it wasnt going to get better by a long shot. There's bad publicity & there's bad publicity & I think someone 'in the know' knew more than we did & Bree was shut down, someone who didnt mind the initial financial lost ? Shame tho, but, thats what worry can do. Thats my belief anyhow ?

New Zealand Earthquak Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

New Zealand Earthquak Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:54 am

azriel wrote:It was bought to be run down. Bree was ok all the time Peejers got roses for LOTRs but the minute he got cabbages for The Hobbit, Bree couldnt be allowed to continue, not in such a negative vein. Looking back it was mostly negative & it wasnt going to get better by a long shot. There's bad publicity & there's bad publicity & I think someone 'in the know' knew more than we did & Bree was shut down, someone who didnt mind the initial financial lost ? Shame tho, but, thats what worry can do. Thats my belief anyhow ?
I still hold to that belief personally  Nod 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:15 pm

So bree was shut down because it gave bad publicity ? Can at happen to us?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:15 pm

We're not exactly good publicity...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Hobbit Movie News- used to be the main page on the Bree site before it went the way of the dodo.

Confusingly, it also used to be referred to as THM, since the actual URL was the-hobbit-movie.com.  The HMN abbreviation started when Taz bought the site and insisted on referring to it as hobbit-movie-news.com even though that URL was never used for the site either before or after its purchase.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Norc wrote:So bree was shut down because it gave bad publicity ? Can at happen to us?

I've never subscribed to the theory that Bree was bought by Warner Bros with the purpose of destroying it. There are plenty of Tolkien forums that host large groups of PJ critics (though few that were quite as vitriolic and unanimous as Bree ultimately became) that were never taken down. Regardless, though, this site is not for sale so we're not in danger of being destroyed by a hypothetical evil conspiracy.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:41 pm

ah Bree I remember being so excited by the thought of TH, but AUJ kind of put the kibosh on it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:44 pm

It would take a lot of evidence for me to buy into that conspiracy.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:28 pm

Well that's an understatement Mrs. Figg.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum