Gandalf's Beard
Eldorion
Kafria
9 posters

Go down

The Press Conference footage Empty The Press Conference footage

Post by Kafria Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Just watched this through

http://www.3news.co.nz/The-Hobbit-media-conference--full-video/tabid/312/articleID/198020/Default.aspx

it's about 40mins long and doesn't really shed any light on the film (although the assertion that you couldn't find anyone more protective of the text than PJ and co may bring on a crabbit attack), did find it interesting which of the cast spoke up. Mostly as Richard Armitage didn't say anything until directly asked and Rob Kazinsky never shut up!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

The Press Conference footage Empty Re: The Press Conference footage

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 pm

What the **** was Rob Kazinsky talking about when he said that Tolkien had New Zealand in mind when he was thinking of Middle-earth? Does he have any familiarity with the extremely well-documented creative process that Tolkien went through? Mad Mad Mad

Geez, I'm not even four minutes in and already a crabbit attack. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Eldorion on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Nope, just think he is too keen to put himself forward! (a lot for a brit soap actor who has been in LA trying to get work!)

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am

I haven't checked the Video yet, but I caught one of the Easter Eggs at the end of The Return of The King which had a spoof interview featuring Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn trying to sell PJ on some crazy sequel ideas. Even though it's just silly, it still made me glad that PJ had directed the LotR films. There were so many ways someone could really f*** up Tolkien's story, and I think PJ is more of a "Purist" than he is given credit for.

I know I've mentioned this before in The Old Forum, but if I had to quantify what PJ got right in terms of adapting the books to film, i would put it between 75-80%, which is far better than most film adaptations.

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

The Press Conference footage Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 am

Eldorion wrote:What the **** was Rob Kazinsky talking about when he said that Tolkien had New Zealand in mind when he was thinking of New Zealand? Does he have any familiarity with the extremely well-documented creative process that Tolkien went through? Mad Mad Mad

That sounds pretty whacked to me too Rolling Eyes . I don't know where anyone could get such a ridiculous idea from.

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:11 am

Oh yes, it could of been far worse Shocked

I also find it reassuring that they are launching the filming section with the hobbit and dwarves, not feeling the need to introduce all their other characters for the extra bits, suggests there is at least an intention to keep it centred around the book narration.

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 am

I don't like trying to quantify faithfulness, but oh yes, it could definitely have been much worse. One doesn't need to look at spoofs for that; simply read about John Boorman. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:18 am

Kafria wrote:I also find it reassuring that they are launching the filming section with the hobbit and dwarves, not feeling the need to introduce all their other characters for the extra bits, suggests there is at least an intention to keep it centred around the book narration.

That is reassuring, as is the emphasis being given to the actors for Bilbo and the Dwarves so far. I hope that this isn't just a marketing ploy and that they really will be the centerpiece. Smile Clearly many of the other roles shouldn't exist at all Mad but there's still hope that the White Council material will be relatively played down.

NB Kafria I love your resizer avatar; that's a great painting and the larger size really makes it stand out. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:27 am

Damn and Blast it! My internet speed sucks tonight for some reason- will have to watch this another time- mind you if it made Eldo crabbit within 4 minutes I'm not sure I should! Neutral

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:29 am

Gandalf's Beard wrote:
Eldorion wrote:What the **** was Rob Kazinsky talking about when he said that Tolkien had New Zealand in mind when he was thinking of Middle-earth? Does he have any familiarity with the extremely well-documented creative process that Tolkien went through? Mad Mad Mad

That sounds pretty whacked to me too Rolling Eyes . I don't know where anyone could get such a ridiculous idea from.

GB

I was so crabbit I couldn't even type straight! Mad See the bolded edited section. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Eldorion on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:31 am

Eldorion wrote:NB Kafria I love your resizer avatar; that's a great painting and the larger size really makes it stand out. Very Happy

Thanks, love this painting too, it's actually the cover to the copy of TH that I was given by my headmistress. I had to resize it small for the old forum then realised I could use the bigger original here!

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 am

Oh dear! Buckie and pipe weed at the ready then or my blood pressure is going to go through the roof. Again.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:54 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Oh dear! Buckie and pipe weed at the ready then or my blood pressure is going to go through the roof. Again.

Thank the Goddess my sedative and painkiller prescriptions arrived today. lol!

GB

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:27 pm

It's a good thing that some of the dwarfs were annoying, because some of those guys seemed like jerks! Though that might of been for the insanely slow buffering on that damn video! Mad

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:52 pm

You're making sense, Ally - what's wrong? Shocked 

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 am

In retrospect this is such a tame video compared to the horrors of the production that would be shown later. It's really just a meet and greet for a portion of the cast.
I always find it interesting to note the behaviour of other panel members when one individual starts praising either the director or the crew or the location, any of that sort of thing. Sometimes, and not terribly often, but sometimes they seem to just shut down and go into this lifeless PR mode. It may just be my imagination, but nothing dulls down a Panel of actors more effectively then one individual gabbing on about the talent of such-and-such.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:03 am

I imagine the meet and greet they are doing fro DOS will be just as bad and just as much an unpleasant cringeworthy PR event.
Planted questions and no meat.
Now if they invited someone of my opinion along to ask why the script writers choose to adapt Tolkien when they clearly dislike his writing so much they refuse to use any of it, that might be worth a watch.
Or to ask PJ if freeing up the camera movements by going all cgi is a worthy trade off when the film looks worse than the Lotr's films from ten years ago and sacrifices all sense of realism in the process.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I imagine the meet and greet they are doing fro DOS will be just as bad and just as much an unpleasant cringeworthy PR event.
Planted questions and no meat.
Now if they invited someone of my opinion along to ask why the script writers choose to adapt Tolkien when they clearly dislike his writing so much they refuse to use any of it, that might be worth a watch.
Or to ask PJ if freeing up the camera movements by going all cgi is a worthy trade off when the film looks worse than the Lotr's films from ten years ago and sacrifices all sense of realism in the process.
That would be incredibly entertaining! However, not all Hobbit fans would appreciate such freedom of thought, and so to keep the peace it is probably best to keep everyone slightly bored, rather than overstimulated.
Orlando Bloom's appearance will probably tide over a good chunk of the intended audience anyway, so there's that.
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

I should gatecrash the the PR event for the final film, while I still have a chance. Twisted Evil 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:46 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I should gatecrash the the PR event for the final film, while I still have a chance.  Twisted Evil 
And read the book out loud.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:02 am

Unforgivable Shocked 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down