Percy and the Sword in the Stone

+3
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Percy and the Sword in the Stone - Page 2 Empty Re: Percy and the Sword in the Stone

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:40 am

Percy woke up and felt strange, his mother told him to stay in bed as he had sunstroke and gave him lots of water to drink, his sister Lily popped her head round the door and said she didnt want to catch the Sillystroke, so he was left alone not knowing whether to laugh or cry. If he had been at home he could have found a way to distract himself with games or texting his friends from school, but here there were only the bare whitewashed walls to look at and the memories of yesterday, yesterday when Things Had Happened.
Percy knew all about the legend of Saint Galgano, they had done the tourist tour and he knew that Galgano had been a medieval knight who coming home from war had had a vision from an Angel who had told him that if he renounced war and violence he would become a Saint, the Angel had shown him all the suffering and tears of war, Galgano had thrust his sword into a stone as a sign of repentance and had gone on to become a saintly man and founded an Abbey. The sword is still there.
But Percy knew in his heart that this was not all the story, there was something missing from the legend, something that the monk was trying to tell him. But Percy had run away. He would never know now. Percy knew that he was probably imagining everything, that it was the sillystroke making him see things, impossible things. But he had to know, it was so important to know, he had to go back.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Percy and the Sword in the Stone - Page 2 Empty Re: Percy and the Sword in the Stone

Post by Mirabella Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:43 am

Mrs Figg wrote:Percy woke up and felt strange, his mother told him to stay in bed as he had sunstroke and gave him lots of water to drink, his sister Lily popped her head round the door and said she didnt want to catch the Sillystroke, so he was left alone not knowing whether to laugh or cry. If he had been at home he could have found a way to distract himself with games or texting his friends from school, but here there were only the bare whitewashed walls to look at and the memories of yesterday, yesterday when Things Had Happened.
Percy knew all about the legend of Saint Galgano, they had done the tourist tour and he knew that Galgano had been a medieval knight who coming home from war had had a vision from an Angel who had told him that if he renounced war and violence he would become a Saint, the Angel had shown him all the suffering and tears of war, Galgano had thrust his sword into a stone as a sign of repentance and had gone on to become a saintly man and founded an Abbey. The sword is still there.
But Percy knew in his heart that this was not all the story, there was something missing from the legend, something that the monk was trying to tell him. But Percy had run away. He would never know now. Percy knew that he was probably imagining everything, that it was the sillystroke making him see things, impossible things. But he had to know, it was so important to know, he had to go back.

I hope Percy doesn't put himself in danger? Sad

Woman strong enough to not fear beauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:07 am

Very nice! I love the feel of this story, it's almost like a fairy tail, but with a more weighty undertone than that phrase implies to me.

Mrs Figg wrote:cheers for all your kind comments you guys, this is the first time I have written this story I had in my head, just goin with the flow. Very Happy Embarassed

That's what I'm doing with my own "story" (which is much sillier than yours). I've never been good at actually committing my ideas to paper, or a computer screen, but I think going with the flow is a good way to start. Best of luck with this, I really like it! Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:48 am

Serious writing means serious depression... Trust me! Very Happy Keep it carefree and imaginative for as long you can... It's all still practice. When you're feeling good about things, then you can tackle being really serious, I reckon, but not until you've got reams of work done already and your psychological muscles are more taut and.. err... muscly. Very Happy .

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:39 pm

This is fun even though i have no idea how to structure a decent sentence or write dialogue. I wish I could write with an easy flow, get the ideas across with deceptive simplicity. I would like to pad the story out with good dialogue and characters, but i dont have any skill, anyway thanks for the encouragement guys, it means a lot. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: Stars glinted in the inky sky and fell like diamonds towards the Sea, the Sea so dark deep, fathoms deep, and lonely and strange. The stars whispered and told him their names, the Sea murmered and told him of lonely seabirds, of storms and shipwreck, of bells in the night.

Can't write a sentence, hey? Well, there's two I quickly found! I know there's some other ones too, probably as good or better!

Don't say such tosh, Mrs Figg. You can write. Every writer - to be any good - just needs discipline -- and needs also to avoid as much as possible - and I know it's hard - putting oneself down all the time! Mad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Did this story have an end ? cos I was enjoying this! I could smell the Italian air in this story & feel the dust under my feet. You did really well, Mrs figg ! I would love to "hear" more ! I can see this is a yr old ? but it was begging for more.

Percy and the Sword in the Stone - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Percy and the Sword in the Stone - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:17 pm

I had forgotten all about this story. Thanks Azriel I will reread it and see if its worth continuing. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Percy woke with a start, he was bathed in sweat, but the room was dark and cool, the window was open and a little breeze was playing in the curtains. It was 4.00am he could see the illuminescent green dial on his wristwatch shining eerily. He got up and padded to the chair where he had thrown his clothes and dressed. He slipped stealthily down the cold stone stairs feeling his way in the moonlight until it was safe to turn on his torch. He had reached the cavernous kitchen and was just turning an old iron key in the lock when he heard a voice behind him.
"Percy Percy, I am coming too, dont try to stop me or i'll scream for Mum, I swear I will!".
His little sister Lily stood there fully dressed in the shadows, she had on her pugnacious look, which meant buisness.
"Lily go back to bed, you dont know where I am going" he whispered angrily. She wasnt going to stop him from going back to the chapel, he didnt care if she screamed the house down, this was important.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm

"Percy you are going to see the hoody man, he told me to tell you to hurry".
Percy was dumbstruck, he was simply too amazed to reply for a few moments, in which time Lily had opened the door and was waiting patiently for him out in the moonlit garden.
Percy could see little fireflies dancing around her head, she beckoned him in silence. This was not like Lily, normally she was a chatterbox, very bouncy.
"Lily what do you mean the hoody man, do you mean the monk?"
"yes", she said, I think he's a monk man, he said he is waiting and theres no time and he needs us to help, me too", she said this last bit with vehemence.
"he speaks to me when I dream, its a nice dream, theres a pretty castle and ladies and a moat".
Percy knew Lily loved moats and water, she could never pass a lake or pond without begging her parents to let her dip her toes in, she was weird like that.
"so what exactly does he want from you?, said Percy quellingly, "youre a little girl".
"oh poo Percy, you are so slexy-ist", she giggled.
"girls are much better than boys at nearly everything".
"pah!" said Percy.

Percy and the Sword in the Stone - Page 2 Ungalgano_zps2df8a30f

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Percy and the Sword in the Stone - Page 2 ImagesCA8UOT2H_zpse7f9d522
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Percy decided it was just easier, and quieter to take her along with him, he felt guilty about letting Lily out in the middle of the night, but as long as he kept her close, nothing would happen.
As they walked down the silvery path, she darted quick looks at him from time to time, and quietly hummed to herself.
This was odd, Lily not jumping around being annoying, maybe she was growing up at last. He sensed a tense coiled spring next to him, she was definately bottling everything up.
They passed through the silent village, a cat darted past, arched its back , did a funny little skittering dance, and sped off in the direction of the chapel. Lily chased after it, half skipping half running.
"Lily NO, he cried with gritted teeth.
"come back here, wait, wait for me!"
Either she was deliberately ignoring him or the urge to follow the cat was too strong. She ran and ran, her little arms pounding the air. Percy followed as quick as his legs would carry him.
"Lilyyyyyyyyy!"
They were near the chapel now, it loomed out of the darkness illuminated by the half moon.
The cat ran through the door, and Lily ran headlong after it.
Percy reached the entrance doubled up and breathess. The interior was pitch black, how could she have just ran in like that?
"where are you? Lily, please please come back!".
He turned on his torch and swung it wildly round the room. There was nobody there.
Percy was very afraid, he felt desperate and angry, and terribly worried, terrible thoughts flashed through his mind. Where was she, what had happened. because Lily had disappeared.
Tears ran down his face.
"oh Lily, he sobbed, "where are you".
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Percy sat down heavily on one of the creaking wooden chairs and put his head in his hands and cried. He was feeling so guilty and wretched. He couldnt bear the thought of explaining all this to his parents. Maybe he should run away. Desperate plans to join the foreign legion or the circus flitted through his mind.
His eyes were gradually getting accustomed to the total darkness, and from through his fingers he noticed light streaming from the bottom of a doorway he had not noticed before. It was a tiny oaken door with intricate carving. The light was searingly bright. It was sunlight. How was that possible?
Percy opened the door.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Oh yes ! Im glad your continuing this story Mrs Figg ! Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:"I, I dont know, there was a knight, he disappeared, whats going on? this is mad". Words tumbled out, Percy started to shake, his voice sounded very childish and silly, Get a grip Perc, he thought, this bloke is obviously an old monk or something or an actor. Then he remembered that the monastery was ruined, there had been no monks for hundreds of years. The only relic of the Abbey of San Galgano was the chapel with the Sword in the Stone.
He suddenly felt totally alone and wanted to see his folks, boring suddenly seemed so comforting. "who are you, and who was the Knight, are you making a film or summat? even as he said the words he knew the truth was going to be beyond his comprehension. "anyway I have to go, my dad will be wondering where I am, probly call the Polizia and stuff if i dont get back". er nice to meet you, bye then". Percy swung round and pedalled, pedalled his bike, like the hounds of hell, or a really nasty Rottweiler was snapping at his heels.

About an earlier comment of Petty's. Dont know I agree with him, except to say maybe it should be 'lunging' not 'snapping'? Suspect Do Rottweilers 'snap' or do they 'lunge'? --- and they bite big time. Littler dogs snap, don't they? Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Sad dont know
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Percy stepped through the door.
On the other side was a shady forest full of fluttering leaves and sunbeams that glanced down through the gently swaying branches. It felt cool and fresh after the hot stuffy Italian air. Thrushes and other little birds twittered, far off a wood pidgeon coo cooed. Percy walked slowly forward his steps muffled by leafmould and dried pinebark. He turned quickly, the door had vanished, panicking he put his hands out and knocked his fingers hard against invisible wood. Well at least its still there, he thought. I will tie something on this tree so I can find it again. He found some string and paper in his pocket and made a little sign. Percy walked through the trees, he had no idea where he was but it seemed a bit like home, the weather felt familiar. Percy tried to make sure he didnt lose the door, he was terrified of getting stuck somewhere hostile. He walked towards a clearing, there was a huge Oak tree in the middle of a shallow dell, and in the dell sitting under the tree was a girl.
She was pale and skinny with long red hair to her waist. She was wearing old fashioned clothes like the ones he had seen his mum wearing from old photos. She had a white cheesecloth top and some horrible tartan trousers with wide bell bottoms. Wow! thought Percy, those are bad pants.
She looked up at his approach and glowered at him.
'erm Hi' said Percy timidly, she was a bit taller than him, and she didnt look friendly.
She stood up and stared at him warily. She had been reading, and the book fell to the ground. They both looked at it.
"sorry", said Percy, "I am lost, where is this place?"
"Its the Edge" she said, "you need to find your Mummy before it gets dark, its dangerous here".
"I dont need my Mummy,"said Percy angrily, "I am quite ok thank you!"
"well you are lost, so you aint all that much of a cleverclogs are you" she said scathingly.
She had a Northern accent, which Percy found strange to hear, he had grown up in the suburbs of London.
"Listen" said Percy, "I am lost, I have lost my little sister and she could be in danger for all I know, if you wont help me you are horrible".
Percy felt himself close to tears but didnt want this nasty girl to see him cry, but something in his words had softened the girls hardness, she really wasnt horrible, just lonely and unused to other children.
"I will help you look for her if you want", she said in a friendlier way.
"The Edge has some deep holes and caves, we had better look now before it gets dark, do you really not know where you are? she said curiously.
Percy explained everything that had happened to him while they searched for Lily.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:40 pm

bounce

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:16 pm

The girls name was Ginevra or 'Ginny for short'. she said.
As Percy explained everything that happened he had distinct feelings, one was the girl was listening to his story avidly and ever so often gave a supressed sigh or a soft wow! She was watching him intently and was obviously bursting with excitement. This led him on to think that she was actually believing him, she never once gave the impression he was lying. He got the impression of a coiled spring, ready to burst.
"But where is the door?" she said excitedly. "can you show me?"
"I need to find Lily, we will go later, look this is important I am worried sick, my Mum will kill me if I have lost her".
"oh ok, lets try the Wizards End, its that way" she pointed to a rising cliff that rose at least 500 feet from the floor of the forest.
Percy hadnt seen it before because of the dense trees, but now they arrived to a clearing, the cliff loomed up high into the sky. Wind twisted pines clung to the cliff face, and a mournful wind was setting the branches swaying like flailing limbs.
Percy shaded his eyes and looked up, he could see no way to the summit, it was almost sheer rocks and sandy stones, the trees roots were sometimes exposed, but they didnt look too safe to climb.
"how to we get up there? and why would Lily be up there anyway? he said doubtfully.
"well is that your sister? said Ginny, she pointed to a small figure standing behind a pine tree looking at them, she waved, turned and disappeared.
"Lily LILY!! shouted Percy, "where on earth have you been, come BACK!!" his voice was muffled by the trees, he suddenly felt the tense watchfulness he had felt before the chapel of the Knight, he didnt want to awaken anything that would best be left sleeping.
"we must get up there quick" cried Percy, "is there a way?.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Thumbs Up

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2