azriel
Mrs Figg
12 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

All New Who - Page 22 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:54 pm

Whoopi Goldberg would like to play Doctor Who:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/whoopi-goldberg-says-she-still-174938193.html

She'd be pretty good at it, though by her own admission the actor should probably be British.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:59 pm

{{ Ive never rally rated her much as an actor, though only thing Ive really seen her in was ST TNG as Guinan, but she always seemed to be more just reading her lines out than acting them to me. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:04 am

I wouldn't say she was just reading out her lines. As a friend of mine commented "she's a better ship's counselor than Troi." She wasn't given anything beyond being the empathetic bartender, so if her character seemed bland it's because it's all she was given. She's won both a Golden Globe and an Oscar for her acting, but it wasn't for Star Trek.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:31 pm

I was leaning towards Rakhee Thakrar as a probabaly good new Doctor, but now I want Doctor Whoopie. She'd be an nod towards the Ruth Doctor being on 13's mind, and if they can't make a Dr. who reference out of her sounding like she's from across the Pond then they have no business writing Who at all. Laughing Laughing

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:53 pm

{{ Just watched a few clips from her various films and sorry, just dont see this acting skill, she comes across to me like she is remembering what the line is right before she says it outloud.  Hence the impression she gives me she is just reading out loud.
And Im not sold on the notion of an Amercian Doctor either, I think it would water down the shows identity and intrinsic British eccentricity. Be like having Superman or Captain America with an english accent, they are just such US centric concepts and characters they have to be American. The Doctor is such a Brtish ideal it has to be a British actor I feel.}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:18 pm

It will be following Chibnal's Who, so there's not much left of that anyways...

Of course it won't be her, and the Babylon 5 guy won't replace Chibnal either. It is just famous people saying "hey, I'd like to do that!" and the media making news out of it. But I would be curious and I would watch if it happened.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:29 pm

{{ I doubt it as well Amarie, but if had to beoneof them out of the two of them the Babylon 5 guy as showrunner would for me be better. Though I'd have same reservations about a non-British showrunner as lead. I think it risks being neither one thing or the other, like the 8th Doctor tv Movie, its tries to retain the quirky British eccentricities but awkwardly melds it with US tropes like hero getting the girl, car chasers, gun toting street gangs and the mix just never sits well. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:12 pm

Yeah, Who certainly don't need the Hollywood touch. *Cough* Arthur Darvill in Legends of tomorrow * cough*

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:50 pm

According to a reliable spoilerhound/leaker on the Doctor Who forum Gallifreybase Whoopi Goldberg was apparently actually considered for the role of the 'Fugitive Doctor' in Series 12 but they weren't sure if her agent was actually approached.

Dunno if there's any truth to it, but for reference someone on Gallifreybase leaked all the details about the Timeless Child stuff month before the episode aired (can't remember if this was the same person) and every detail was proven correct.

Last edited by malickfan on Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:56 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ I doubt it as well Amarie, but if had to beoneof them out of the two of them the Babylon 5 guy as showrunner would for me be better. Though I'd have same reservations about a non-British showrunner as lead. I think it risks being neither one thing or the other, like the 8th Doctor tv Movie, its tries to retain the quirky British eccentricities but awkwardly melds it with US tropes like hero getting the girl, car chasers, gun toting street gangs and the mix just never sits well. }}

In fairness the Director (Geoffrey Sax),writer (Matthew Jacobs) and executive producer (Phillip Seagal) of the TV Movie were all English, the BBC contributed most of the budget and it was filmed in Vancouver so I'm not so sure it's fair to think of it as a overtly 'Amercanised' Who...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:13 pm

{{ Yes but it was tooled for the US market and Fox as a pilot and is full of Amercianisms, and lots of US shows film in Canada (must be cheaper or something) }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:23 pm

Yeah, Canada's cheaper. Most of the X-files was filmed in Canada. The two centers of film making in the US are Los Angeles and New York, so if you don't want to look like California and don't want to pay NYC prices, you head to Toronto.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:39 pm

{{ First three episodes of the fanmade Infiltration of the Daleks, well worth a watch great work. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:47 am

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/doctorwho-edtvfest2021

Speaking at this year's festival, the BBC's Director of Drama, Piers Wenger was asked if he had a plan for the future of the series beyond 2022. He responded: "No, I don't. As with any change in Doctor and showrunner, it will be ambitious and radical. We will have to look at the TV landscape in which it will play. So, change is ahead!"

Assuming that is an accurate quote it gives the impression they are still searching for/interviewing a New Showrunner with a new vision, i wonder if a format change is forthcoming, could the 6 episode miniseries structure of Series 13 be a trial run? in the era of binge-watching streaming services does a 12 episode weekly series mostly comprised of stand alone stories still make sense?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:13 am

Oh, stand alone episodes will always have a place. Sometimes you just want to partake of a world every now and again, not mainline it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:04 am

{{ These popped up on my youtube feed, Doctor Who audio books, and among them one of the first Who books I ever read aged about 7/8, and it scared the crap out of me so obviously I loved it. Nostalgia kick at that cover art too.
These Target novelisations, written by Who writing legend Terence Dicks, were my introduction to the stories of the first 2 Doctors, who were before my time and as the BBC never repeated old Who it was not until the 80's and the advent of vhs I even saw any of them, this was my source of early Who in my childhood.
This one is read by David Troughton, the son of the 2nd Doctor Patrick Troughton whose story this is, and he does a pretty convincng impression of his Dad, not a bad Jamie either.
I still consider this the first horror book I ever read. Enjoy. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:14 pm

{{ You know these fan vids can make me sad sometimes, this one did, not exactly from the content. But hearing the music and poetry of Moffats writing, the electric alive performance of Capaldi just seemingly effortlessly being the very essence of the Doctor and his remarkable delivery of Moffats lines, it all makes the terrible clunky dialogue of Chibnal era and Jodies shallow shadow of a cosplay turn as the Doctor all the worse. How did we get from this truly excellent level of quality all round to what we have now in just 2 series? How?! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:10 am

I see things did not seem to improve while I wasn’t watching Who these last two years. Could I suggest a radical return to the past. Find a William Hartnell type. Go back to really straightforward old fashioned sci fi. With a pretty and intelligent and brave and feisty companion, of course. Maybe a companion from 2022 and a Dr from 1950. Could be room for genuinely intelligent fun in that. Old fashioned genuinely decent gentleman chauvinist and newfangled feminist, though not hairy legged or man hating. Return to pure adventure and forget the ‘modern’ pretences. Good story lines always work, you know. Sending messages is always a dubious pastime.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:53 am

{{ They had that with Capaldi and Bill, but sadly the current hopeless Chibnal got rid of them and replaced them with pointed lecturing on social subjects, terrible villains and plots and thought rewriting the shows entire history and cannon to make it more 'inclusive' was a better idea. It wasnt. Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:21 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58682472

RTD is returning as showrunner!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Screenwriter Russell T Davies is to take charge again of Doctor Who, the sci-fi show he helped revive in 2005.

Davies, who was the fantasy drama's showrunner until 2009, will take over when Chris Chibnall departs next year.

"I'm beyond excited to be back on my favourite show," said Davies, who resumes his role as the show prepares to mark its 60th anniversary in 2023.

One of his first responsibilities will be to decide who takes over the Tardis following Jodie Whittaker's exit.

The actress is set to hang up her Sonic Screwdriver after one more six-part series and three 2022 specials.

In a statement, however, Davies said it would be "time-travelling too fast" to speculate on what will happen when he returns.

"There's a whole series of Jodie Whittaker's brilliant Doctor for me to enjoy, with my friend and hero Chris Chibnall at the helm," he continued. "I'm still a viewer for now."

Jodie Whittaker will star in a new series and three specials next year, before she exits the series
Chibnall said it was "monumentally exciting and fitting" that Davies would be back in charge for the series' 60th birthday.

"Russell built the baton that is about to be handed back to him," the writer and producer continued.

Davies revived Doctor Who in its current incarnation with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and remained for David Tennant's time as the Doctor.

Steven Moffatt took over when Matt Smith took on the role, staying to supervise Peter Capaldi's stint as TV's indefatigable Time Lord.

The success of Doctor Who's relaunch led Davies to create two spin-off shows, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Analysis by BBC Entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba
It's nearly 18 years to the day since the BBC announced that Doctor Who was returning, more than a decade after it was axed. No Doctor or companion had yet been cast, but it was confirmed that Russell T Davies would be in charge of the show. At the time, the lifelong Doctor Who fan was best known as the writer of Queer As Folk (he even managed to briefly squeeze robot dog K9 into the series).

Few predicted how huge it would become upon its return, and Davies is the man credited with much of that success. As showrunner he oversaw every creative aspect of the science fiction drama, wrote many of its scripts, and was an exceptionally hands-on executive producer - the book The Writer's Tale, a diary of daily emails and text messages between Davies and journalist Benjamin Cook. details the attention to detail he gave to almost every part of the show, from approving merchandise designs to overseeing the plans for media events.

His unexpected return to the show has delighted many, because if there is a recent golden era of Doctor Who, it's arguably when Davies was in charge, with the programme attracting huge viewing figures and racking up awards and critical acclaim.

With the exception of the Doctor Who TV movie with Paul McGann, Doctor Who has always been produced purely by the BBC. But from 2023 it will be a co-production with Bad Wolf. The production house was founded by Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner who worked alongside Davies during his time on Doctor Who. Tranter was the BBC's head of drama, Gardner was an executive producer on the show. Both are seen as less high profile, but still crucially important parts of Doctor Who's previous success.

After leaving the show in 2009, Davies enjoyed more acclaim with TV dramas Years and Years, A Very English Scandal and It's A Sin.

Piers Wenger, the BBC's director of drama, said the news of Davies' return would "delight Doctor Who fans across the globe".

"We are thrilled that Russell is returning to Doctor Who to build on the huge achievements of Chris and Jodie," he continued. "Russell, it's wonderful to have you back."

'What a coup'
Davies' return was also welcomed by Bad Wolf, the production company founded in 2015 by former BBC executives Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter.

Gardner and Tranter both worked with Davies on the Doctor Who relaunch and will collaborate with him again when he returns as showrunner.

"We are delighted to be joining Russell T Davies on a looped ontological paradox," said the Bad Wolf Twitter account. "Where Russell goes, we are proud to follow.

"With BBC Studios, Bad Wolf will be producing the all-new series of Doctor Who. It is a privilege to be asked to support him in Doctor Who's future."

Actor Matt Lucas, who played companion Nardole during Capaldi's time as the Doctor, was evidently delighted with the news.

"Russell T Davies back in the Tardis! What a coup! I'm buzzing!" wrote the Bake Off presenter and Little Britain comic on Twitter.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Initial thoughts:

A) Wow, so I take it noone else wanted the job?! Initially I thought ah ok they've got him in to oversee the 60th as an favour, but no it seems he's signed on long term for at least a few series...hmm this kinda reads like damage control i.m.o 'Well, no-one else wanted the job Russel we are going to cancel it unless you come back)

In a weird way I'm not all that surprised, RTD is a good writer and Im sure after 12 years away from the show he has new stories to tell, but will his approach differ this time round? The family friendly TV soap style of S1-4 is rather dated in the age of streaming, what will he do this time? Is this good news-a steady hand at the helm, or bad news-retreading old ground i'm really not sure.

b) Bad Wolf productions as a co-producer? Interesting and exciting news i.m.o maybe that means a budget increase?

C) Hopefully a return to 13 episodes a series per year!

D) This kinda does seem like a tactit admission the cibnall era was a failure i.m.o

E) wonder how he feels about the timeless child idea...

F) Classic Doctors in the 60th maybe?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 pm

and please for the love of god don't do another cringey soppy 10/rose style romance this time...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:57 pm

Barry Letts who was the producer/showrunner during the Jon Pertwee years 1970-1975 later returned as executive producer for classic who season 18 in 1980-that was Tom Baker's last season and John Nathan Turner's first as producer, JNT had worked on the show for a while as a location scout/production unit manger but I dodn't think had any major producing credits, the BBC brought Letts back in an advisory capacity to help ease JNT in and assist with casting/give scripts suggestions etc.

This kinds feels like something similar, has the BBC brought RTD back as producer to help train up/oversee a new generation of writers to takae the show on after he leaves? RTD is very good friends with Sally Wainright who was heavily rumoured to be in discussions to take over as showrunner...maybe she still will but in a few years...

Also wondering if rTD could persuade some of the old writers-Mark Gatiss, Moffat and Toby Whithouse etc to return?

I'm guessing Tennant has already had a call about coming back for the 60th anniversary...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:36 pm

Shocked I had to re-read several times and I still can't believe it. It certainly will be interesting to see how RTD writes for today's viewers.

Has anyone checked in on Petty? He might need some emergency buckie.

malickfan wrote:and please for the love of god don't do another cringey soppy 10/rose style romance this time...

Amen!

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum