chris63
Bluebottle
Eldorion
Amarië
Norc
17 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [8] - Page 36 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [8]

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Never heard of the graduate center before. There's a Bard College a couple hours up the Hudson River which is civic minded and ranked fairly highly. The grad center is arts focused and fairly new (founded 1992). Seems to be a single building. It takes a lot to be noticed in NYC, so my not having heard of it before doesn't mean much. Not too far from me: 5 subway stops on the line just out my front door.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [8] - Page 36 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [8]

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:54 pm

cool thanks Halfy, it looks interesting.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:02 pm

got wifi, its amazeballs.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:24 am

does anyone know about VPN proxy thingies? I want to safely stream UK tv shows from abroad, I was looking on Youtube on how to do this and they said never use the free ones because they are full of viruses. Can anyone recommend one?

scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:50 am

Yeah, wifi is sort of amazing.

Can't help you with the VPN thing. Connectivity is actually way complicated.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:29 am

does anyone know about VPN proxy thingies? - Figg

{{ I use bitdefender Figg- got it and its VPN. Its a yearly subscription. Not had any issues so far. It'll not only let you browse no problem, watch stuff from other regions, bitdefender itself is an anti-virus/malware program so keeps you safe too (well as safe as any of these programs can).
Currently on sale for Black Friday too- I just got the basic one (cheapest!) - Antivirus plus 2020 - and tick the bit below to add the VPN, normally about £34 a year subscription. You can use it on up to 3 devices too.

https://www.bitdefender.co.uk/media/html/consumer/new/2020/sem-Black-Friday-2019-opt/?pid=70off&&s_kwcid=AL!6076!3!397266644605!e!!g!!bitdefender&cid=ppc%7cc%7cGoogle%7c50Off&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkO_7roiM5gIVmK3tCh1tAQrSEAAYASAAEgLF8_D_BwE  

NordVPN is also very popular and has more severs in different locations, but it also recently got hacked!}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:47 pm

That's fab Petty. I was worried because I used Filmontv to watch a documentary about Helena Bonham Carter Rolling Eyes  and got a Trojan virus for my pains. luckily Windows Defender and my anti-virus Malwarebytes killed it immediately, but it could have been disasterous. I had a look around the interwebz and saw that one streaming thing could actually see my IP address,  wifi provider and where I lived, Mad  so I thought I would try to hide the IP through the VPN service, but then they said free VPNs are dodgy too. Shocked I don't mind paying to hide my IP address in order to safely watch Gogglebox and First Dates. Laughing

edit. just installed it, it looks pretty good, only £20 for a year. Thumbs Up
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Just...................whatever [8] - Page 36 Crem10

A bit late don't you think ? Smile

Just...................whatever [8] - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever [8] - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Very Happy

Do they also have an "all employees must wash hands before returning to work" sign?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am

Ooooooooh Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am

Just...................whatever [8] - Page 36 Dehydr10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:53 pm

? Shocked

:facepalm:

Laughing  it took me a minute to work that one out.

Embarassed
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Good idea. Nod Water's heavy and bulky; hell to transport. This dehydrated water can be air dropped into desert regions right where it's needed. I'm thinking the military came up with it to solve logistics problems; probably earned a promotion.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:21 am

{{ Anywhere near you Halfy- and if so is it still recognisably so?}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:42 am

I saw that earlier & thought it was amazing ! I love watching people from long ago.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Wow, just wow.  I can't believe I haven't seen that before: it's overshadowed by a somewhat earlier clip from San Francisco I think.

But the picture and sound quality are simply amazing.  Carriages and automobiles together on the streets is quite a slice in time.  To me an eye opener was seeing a black man driving an automobile - the height of technology at the time.  Opens up all sorts of questions about race relations. I'm surprised at how clean the streets are; I've been led to believe that the age of horse carriage featured mounds of manure. I wasn't aware trolleys ever existed in New York.  

I just wish they had captured some conversation, I'd be fascinated by the speech patterns around then, when powered flight was only for show and the gilded age was still in full swing.

None of it is near me, but more than half the locations are recognizable.  Chinatown was well established by then and people were making adventurous trips to sample the "chop-suey" the Chinese concocted to match western tastes.  What I think is the Flat Iron looks not quite flat enough to me so I'm not sure if I'm right or not. Brooklyn Bridge is more crowded now.  Herald Square now features fenced in lots, I suppose to keep kids and dogs running into the street as people sit and have a bite.

I want more!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ Anywhere near you Halfy- and if so is it still recognisably so?}}

wow that gave me goosebumps, it was like time travelling for real,  truly amazing. Razz cheers Thumbs Up
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:00 pm

just passed my 2nd year upgrade from MPhil to PhD. feel quite relieved, ate loads of chocolate to celebrate, now feel sick.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:40 pm

{{{ cheers Congratulations Figg- hard work pays off. Well done. :carrot: But should have celebrated with buckie- you'll still be sick but lot more fun getting there! Twisted Evil drunken }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks Petty. Kissing
they were liquor chocolates, so I got pissed and sick, double-whammy drunken silent blurg!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:00 am

Was there some qualifying song and dance you had to go through?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:52 am

Congratulations!!!!!
:carrot: cheers :carrot:

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:26 pm

Woo Hoo Figgy !!! Well done !!! that's great news Very Happy cheers flower Cheerleader What a great feeling Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Thumbs Up cheers guys, still have a year and a half to finish the whole thing.

and yes there was singing and dancing and falling over and pavement pizza-ing . :carrot:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Not sure what you'll do with your PhD once you have it, but I recommend converting the juiciest parts into a journal paper long before you submit your thesis.  You'll get amazing feedback for the thesis, and if you go looking for a job not only will you have a paper to help you get it, but you'll never have time to publish the old stuff once you get a job.  There's a lot of amazing stuff that ends up buried in PhD theses because the river keeps rolling and the old stuff gets swept into the past.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum