Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties

+4
Bluebottle
Elthir
azriel
Radaghast
8 posters

Go down

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Empty Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties

Post by Radaghast Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:55 pm

For some reason, the Marvel Comics character Sauron popped into my head this morning. Sauron was an "energy vampire" in the form of an anthropomorphized pterodactyl (or a wereodactyl, I guess) who was a foe of the X-Men, and who loudly proclaimed (to himself, apparently) that he would name himself after the LotR bad guy.

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties VxbpOYJ Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties 670983-sa2

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Karl_Lykos_(Earth-616)

This got me thinking of other names used by Marvel and other companies. Marvel had a white winged horse named Aragorn that was genetically fashioned to be the mount for their Black Knight character. There was also another white pegasus named Strider.

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Black_Knight_V_h

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Aragorn_(Earth-616)

Then there's a character called Morgoth that appeared in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. I remember seeing this episode and apparently naive enough to think the name might have been a coincidence :facepalm:

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Tumblr_lt4nxauQiL1qj2uvr Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Tumblr_lt4nxi9O7r1qj2uvr

http://he-man.wikia.com/wiki/Morgoth

Anyone know of any others?

Also, the question occurred to me whether permission was granted for any of these characters. The use of 'orcs' was permitted for use by TSR/Wizards of the Coast for Dungeons & Dragons, but 'hobbit' and 'balrog' was not (curiously, 'warg' is in the public domain, but was changed to 'worg' for D&D). Anyone know anything?

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Empty Re: Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties

Post by azriel Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Im not up on comics but a lot of Bands have Tolkien words as song titles..........mostly heavy metal bands....

Sources:
http://tolkien-music.com/

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Empty Re: Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties

Post by Radaghast Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Interesting. Plus, of course, there are the references in a few Led Zeppelin songs. And Rush has a song called "Rivendell".

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:38 pm

And of course..........................

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:47 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QFjACahUKEwjV8ICWkpXIAhVIPxQKHVDWAkM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fio9.com%2F5941544%2Flisten-to-jrr-tolkien-read-his-poem-namarie-in-elvish&usg=AFQjCNEP21yfd3JmLilFPgwKYf2TyYjyfw&sig2=vpsTEwqrAusKEYEwVXg9Yw

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Reminds me of Tolkien's wish...

'I wish that 'Copyright' could protect names, as well as extracts. It is a form of invention I take a great deal of trouble over, and pleasure in; and really it is quite as difficult (often more so) as, say, lines of verse.'

JRR Tolkien, 1964, letter 258, to Rayner Unwin

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Radaghast wrote:Also, the question occurred to me whether permission was granted for any of these characters. The use of 'orcs' was permitted for use by TSR/Wizards of the Coast for Dungeons & Dragons, but 'hobbit' and 'balrog' was not (curiously, 'warg' is in the public domain, but was changed to 'worg' for D&D). Anyone know anything?

Hm, protected how do you mean? There are three ways to legally protect intellectual property. Well.. three and a half. You have copyright, and related rights, like public performances by performing artist and non-artistic photography, trademarks and patents.

Patents protect things like technical inventions, so, would not be relevant in this case. Copyright protects an artistic effort captured in some form. But there are limits to copyright protection. And while as little as eight words were deemed to merit copyright by the EU-court, in the Google case in Belgium, one word, like a name, would not be enough. Trademarks protect the rights holders brands, names, logos, used in marketing efforts. But they have to be registered, are these names registered b the Tolkien estate?, and somehow used in competition with the rights holders commercial efforts and there has to be a danger of confusion. I don't really see it as applicable. If they released Sauron doll perhaps.. or something like that.. use the name commercially. As for using it in fiction, as an homage. Nah, don't think that would breach any of the rights holders rights in any case.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:42 am

There was a character named Galadriel in the Nick Sparks movie "The Last Song" with Miley Cyrus, but that was in direct reference to LOTR. Oddly not the first person I've heard being named that though (one of the voice actresses for "Until Dawn" was named Galadriel)

Robert Plant's dog was named Strider, just an fyi.

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:42 am

Bluebottle wrote:Patents protect things like technical inventions, so, would not be relevant in this case. Copyright protects an artistic effort captured in some form. But there are limits to copyright protection. And while as little as eight words were deemed to merit copyright by the EU-court, in the Google case in Belgium, one word, like a name, would not be enough. Trademarks protect the rights holders brands, names, logos, used in marketing efforts. But they have to be registered, are these names registered b the Tolkien estate?, and somehow used in competition with the rights holders commercial efforts and there has to be a danger of confusion. I don't really see it as applicable. If they released Sauron doll perhaps.. or something like that.. use the name commercially. As for using it in fiction, as an homage. Nah, don't think that would breach any of the rights holders rights in any case.
Interesting. Would "hobbit" and "balrog" be considered brands?

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:44 am

Tinuviel wrote:There was a character named Galadriel in the Nick Sparks movie "The Last Song" with Miley Cyrus, but that was in direct reference to LOTR. Oddly not the first person I've heard being named that though (one of the voice actresses for "Until Dawn" was named Galadriel)
Interesting. The Marvel character directly referenced Tolkien as well.

Robert Plant's dog was named Strider, just an fyi.
Yup. Even he wrote a song about it Smile

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:14 pm

I can't think of any Tolkien names cropping up in other media, but I know there is (was?) kitchen outfitter in Winchester called Rivendell for some reason:

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Ls

And I've met at least three people with dogs named either Frodo or Bilbo, probably not what you were getting at Raddy, but Tolkien certainly seems ingrained in pop culture and I don't think a few references or names being borrowed does much harm.

Tolkien may have invented hobbits as a race, but he didn't invent the word (Wasn't a 'hobbit' a unit if measurement in the Middle ages?) so I'm not sure if the estate would be able to copyright the name (depends on the context I suppose).

I vaguely recall reading in The History Of The Hobbit John Rateliffe pointing out the word had been used in other, earlier folklore and fantasy works, and Tolkien certainly wasn't the first man to feature diminutive earth dwelling humans in a fantasy setting...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Drrrr ! how dumb am I ( answers on a postcard ) We have a lovely garden center just up the road from me called  "Athelas Plants" Very Happy

www.athelasplants.co.uk/

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:43 pm

There was this fjordlandian bad from the 70's that used to name their instrumentals after Tolkien characters.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:00 pm

There is a company called "Spiral Direct", sells Goth gear, T-shirts etc & over the yrs they have often had what I believe to be Tolkien-ish inspired clothing............

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Spiral%20direct_zpsqnkm2r76

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:15 pm

And I know this isnt Smaug but, this is how I see him, or rather his colour.

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties Smaug_zpspvqx7ntp

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Elthir wrote:Reminds me of Tolkien's wish...

'I wish that 'Copyright' could protect names, as well as extracts. It is a form of invention I take a great deal of trouble over, and pleasure in; and really it is quite as difficult (often more so) as, say, lines of verse.'

JRR Tolkien, 1964, letter 258, to Rayner Unwin

It always amazes me how Tolkien would start with names before story, and so it makes sense that he would consider it as thought intensive as composing poetry. Nice quote.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:21 pm

azriel wrote:There is a company called "Spiral Direct", sells Goth gear, T-shirts etc & over the yrs they have often had what I believe to be Tolkien-ish inspired clothing............

Well that's obviously an illustration of Mangog (read Balrog) battling Woden (read Gandalf) in the Norse version of HE Double Hockey Sticks (read Heck).

Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties ManGog

Wink
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:34 pm

There's "Balrog" from Street Fighter. Although he's also known as M. Bison.
Tolkien Names Used in Other Properties BalrogPortraitBLUE

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down