azriel
halfwise
Bluebottle
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Music stuff - Page 3 Empty Re: Music stuff

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:10 pm

halfwise wrote:Nice choice of Renaissance tune.

As a long time player of Renaissance wind instruments, it sounds like you have a recorder mouthpiece rather than a flute type of mouthpiece.  This means you can use recorder tonging.  Softer attacks: 't' and even 'r' instead of 'd'.

Start your melody sort of going 'Ti, ti-ri-ti, ti-ti-ri ti-ri ti' and see how it comes out.  Of course it's not exactly those sounds, but the thought will get you closer to the almost conversational approach you want.

Edit: if I'm hearing wrong and you have a transverse flute type of instrument, then I have no idea how they do articulation.  The main with with transverse flutes is to practice looking cute and dizzy, because that's how you feel after blowing on one of them things.  No back pressure at all.

Yeah, it's transverse, though I do plan to buy a recorder at some point. I'll probably go with alto on that, too. I did feel dizzy after practicing yesterday! pale

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:16 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:An excellent start Bungo - interesting instrument to pick, why a bamboo flute?

Because it was fairly inexpensive, beautifully hand crafted, has simple fingering, and I'm interested in trying out wind instruments and I thought this was a good place to start. Smile

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:19 pm

Actually, tin whistle is the place to start. Easy to play, and if you get into the ornamentation you'll always sound good.

You're stuck with two scales, but it's amazing how much you can pull out of that.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Apparently you can get two octaves out of this flute, but I don't think I have the air power for it. I had to transpose "Tant Que Vivray" because I have no way of reaching low Ti, which challenged me to learn how to play an accidental "Li".

I'll have to look into tin whistles. I just don't want to end up playing the Shire theme. Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:43 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I don't have much of a voice these days, (perhaps the cold could be thought of as an effect? Razz) but I wanted to record something. (Specifically this new song, it turns out.) And i thought, why not share it here. As it's been far too long since this thread saw any activity. Smile

Blue what do you use for recording equipment?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:13 am

For this one I just recorded straight into my mac with Audacity. I do have a condensator mic, but my xlr-cable is shot and I haven't gotten around to getting a new one. Then I threw on some reverb, which didn't work all that well. So, I threw on another layer of reverb that had it sounding a bit better.

It was all a bit of mess really. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:14 am

azriel wrote:Thumbs Up I liked it Blue, the croaky voice added something Very Happy  

Haha, well, thanks. Smile

More to come.. hopefully.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3